A LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING
- The Vikings travel to Florida for the Horizon League Championship which runs from Sunday through Tuesday (April 22-24) at the Mission Inn Resort in Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla.
- CSU has won the last four League titles and eight of the last 12 overall.
- The Vikings concluded the regular season by finishing 11th at the Rutherford Intercollegiate hosted by Penn State over the weekend. Senior Blake Prince tied for 42nd place with a 224 total (74-73-77).
- CSU opens play at the Horizon League Championship on Sunday (April 22) in Florida. The tournament continues with the second and third rounds on Monday and Tuesday (April 23-24).
- The Vikings are the defending League champs, capturing the first Horizon League title in program history last season.
- CSU hosted the Sand Ridge Shootout on Friday in its final event before the League Championship, finishing second with a round of 309. Emily Turski and Kaylee Neumeister both shot 76 and tied for fifth place.
- Cleveland State returns home this Saturday, April 21, as it hosts Sacred Heart in its home finale at 12:00 pm.
- The Vikings dropped a 14-5 decision at nationally ranked Robert Morris this past weekend despite outshooting the Colonials in the game.
- Danny Tesler won 16 of 21 faceoffs, collected 11 ground balls and added a goal and an assist. He has now won 28 of the last 34 face-offs he has contested.
- CSU (12-22, 2-4 HL) is slated to play six games this week, starting with a three-game series at Detroit Mercy on Tuesday and Wednesday (April 17-18) and hosting Youngstown State on Friday and Saturday (April 20-21).
- The Vikings went 1-2 at IUPUI over the weekend, dropping a pair of one run games on Friday and earning a 7-4 victory on Saturday.
- Mackenzie Joecken hit a grand slam in the second game on Friday, while Riley Ries hit one in Saturday's victory.
- Cleveland State (13-10, 4-1) will close out the regular season with a two-match roadswing this weekend, traveling to IUPUI (Saturday, April 21) and UIC (Sunday, April 22).
- The Vikings enter the week with a 4-1 #HLMTEN record, and are coming off back-to-back wins against Wright State (6-1) and Northern Kentucky (7-0).
- Junior Benjamin Slade and freshman Luke Phillips both enter the final week of regular season play with perfect 5-0 singles records against league opponents, while Slade became the fourth Viking this season to notch 20 wins, achieving the feat with a 6-4, 7-6(5) victory against WSU.
- The Vikings (10-11, 6-1) will close out regular season play with a pair of crucial road matches this weekend, traveling to IUPUI (Saturday, April 21) and UIC (Sunday, April 22).
- Last weekend, the Vikings extended their current winstreak to four straight matches with wins over Wright State (4-3) and Northern Kentucky (6-1), moving into a tie for second place in the #HLWTEN standings.
- Isabella Spindler and Anastasia Perin both went 2-0 in singles play on the weekend, with Spindler improving to 6-1 against league opponents at No. 1 singles.
WOMEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD
- Cleveland State will return to action at the Sparky Adams Invitational next weekend, with the meet taking place on Saturday, April 21 on the campus of Baldwin Wallace.
- Last time out, the Vikings had an excellent showing at the Miami Duals, led by the 4x100 (48.33) and 4x400 (4:01.05) relay teams setting program records in both events.
VIKING OF THE WEEK
Isabella Spindler | Jr. | Women's Tennis
Went 2-0 at No. 1 singles, helping the Vikings pick up a pair of crucial wins against League opponents over the weekend. She notched a 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 win against Wright State, and a 6-3, 2-6, 6-1 win against the reigning Horizon League Player of the Year from Northern Kentucky. Spindler is now 18-12 overall this year and 6-1 against League opponents - both team-highs.
OTHER TOP PERFORMERS
4x100 Relay Team | Women's Outdoor Track & Field
Set a school record time of 48.33 at the Miami Duals, placing second in the event. This time was just 0.11 seconds off the winning time.
Kristin Catalano | Sr. | Softball
Earned the win in relief on Saturday at IUPUI, working the last four innings and giving up just one hit. She came in with a runner on first base in the fourth inning and induced the next batter into a double play, starting a streak of 10 straight batters retired.
Kaylee Neumeister (So.) & Emily Turski (Sr.) | Women's Golf
The duo tied for fifth place at the Sand Ridge Shootout with rounds of 76, just two shots out of first place.
Benjamin Slade | Jr. | Men's Tennis
Won two matches at No. 4 singles to remain undefeated in League singles play at 5-0, while also becoming the fourth Viking to reach 20 wins this year.
Danny Tesler | So. | Men's Lacrosse
Had a goal and an assist with 11 ground balls and won 16-of-21 face offs at nationally-ranked Robert Morris.
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
Tuesday, April 17
Softball at Detroit Mercy, 3:00 pm
Wednesday, April 18
Softball at Detroit Mercy, 12:00 pm (DH)
Friday, April 20
Softball hosts Youngstown State, 3:00 pm
Saturday, April 21
Women's Track & Field at Jesse Owens Classic, 11:00 am
Women's Track & Field at Sparky Adams Invitational, 11:00 am
Men's Lacrosse hosts Sacred Heart, 12:00 pm
Softball hosts Youngstown State, 1:00 pm (DH)
Men's Tennis at IUPUI, 3:30 pm
Sunday, April 22
Women's Tennis at UIC, 11:00 am
Men's Tennis at UIC, 3:00 pm
Men's Golf at Horizon League Championship, All Day
Women's Golf at Horizon League Championship, All Day