A look at what's happening in Cleveland State Athletics...
- Cleveland State (5-8, 2-0) will play at home for the first time during Horizon League play this week, hosting IUPUI (Thursday, January 3) and UIC (Saturday, January 5).
- The Vikings opened #HLWBB play with back-to-back wins at Oakland and Detroit Mercy last week, starting league play with a 2-0 record for the third straight year.
- After leading Cleveland State to back-to-back wins for just the second time this season, Savanna Crockett was named the Horizon League Freshman of the Week for the fourth time this year. Crockett is one of just 24 players nationwide with at least seven double-doubles this season.
- The Vikings (5-10, 0-2) will begin a four-game roadswing this week, traveling to Milwaukee (Thursday, January 3) and Green Bay (Saturday, January 5) to continue Horizon League play.
- Last week, Cleveland State opened #HLMBB play at home, dropping a pair of contests to Oakland and Detroit Mercy.
- During the first two league games of the year, Tyree Appleby averaged 15.5 points and 4.5 assists per game, while Jaalam Hill averaged 7.0 rebounds per contest.
- Dennis Felton Radio Show: The weekly call-in show about Cleveland State basketball will return on Monday, January 7, taking place at Becky's Bar and Grill Downtown from 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. Al Pawlowski will serve as the host, with head coach Dennis Felton talking about all things Viking Basketball.
- Cleveland State will have the week off from competition before returning to action with a pair of dual meets against Columbia and George Mason on Thursday, January 10.
- Last time out, the Vikings closed out 2018 at the Lock Haven Classic, with Nico O'Dor (157) and Ben Smith (197) winning their respective weight classes, while Armando Torres (133) and Dimitri Williams (174) placed second.
- With his 3-1 record at the Lock Haven Classic, Armando Torres became the first Viking to eclipse the 20-win mark this season, and currently has 22 victories on the year.
This Week's Schedule
Thursday, January 3
Women's Basketball hosts IUPUI – 7:00 p.m.
Men's Basketball at Milwaukee – 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 5
Women's Basketball hosts UIC – 1:00 p.m.
Men's Basketball at Green Bay – 1:00 p.m.
Viking Of The Week
Savanna Crockett, Women's Basketball
The freshman led the Vikings to a pair of wins at Oakland and Detroit Mercy to begin Horizon League play, averaging 11.5 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocked shots per game. Crockett tallied her seventh double-double of the season with 16 points and 12 rebounds at Oakland, and is one of just 24 players nationwide with seven or more double-doubles this season.
Other Top Performers
Jaalam Hill, Men's Basketball
Nico O'Dor, Wrestling
Ben Smith, Wrestling