A look at what's happening in Cleveland State Athletics...
- Cleveland State (6-18, 1-10) returns to action this week hosting Green Bay on Thursday, February 7 at 7:00 p.m., followed by Milwaukee on Saturday, February 9 at 3:00 p.m.
- Last week the Vikings fell on the road to Detroit Mercy 78-64 and Oakland 83-68.
- Senior Dontel Highsmith scored a season-high 19 points in the loss at Oakland, including a perfect 7-for-7 performance from the field, including five three-pointers.
- Freshman Rashad Williams tied the Cleveland State freshman school record for three-pointers in a season at 66, after posting five in the loss to Oakland Saturday.
- Dennis Felton Radio Show: The weekly call-in show about Cleveland State basketball will take place on Monday, February 4 from 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. Al Pawlowski will serve as the host, with assistant coach Bryan Tibaldi talking about all things Viking Basketball. The show can be heard on WHK, AM-1420.
- The Vikings (9-13, 6-5) will hit the road this week, traveling to UIC on Friday, February 8, followed by IUPUI on Sunday, February 10.
- Cleveland State picked up two wins last week against Detroit Mercy 67-51 and Oakland 98-90 to improve to 6-5 in #HLWBB play.
- Mariah White tallied 46 points between the two games, shooting 66% from the field in both games.
- Freshman JaMiya Braxton had a career-high against Oakland, finishing with 17 points – including five three-pointers – while classmate Savanna Crockett recorded 24 points against the Grizzlies to also set a career-high.
- Cleveland State will contest a pair of duals this weekend, hosting Clarion Friday (February 8) before traveling to Michigan State Sunday (February 10).
- The Vikings nearly pulled off an upset of Kent State this past weekend but dropped a heartbreaker, 23-20, that came down to the final bout.
- Brady Barnett, Colton Carroll and Nico O'Dor all posted pins against their KSU opponents.
Indoor Track & Field
- The Vikings will have their final tune-up before the Horizon League Championships this weekend, as they are set to compete at the Kent State Invite on Saturday, February 9.
- Last time out, the Vikings had a strong showing in sprint events at the Akron Invite, with Monica Johnson, Hannah Gaskins and Tylar Mixon posting program records in all four events that Cleveland State competed in.
- Cleveland State closes the regular season this weekend by hosting its annual John Szent-Kiraly Open Saturday, February 9.
- The Vikings competed at the Northwestern Duals this past weekend, with the men posting a 2-8 mark and the women going 0-10 at the event.
- Both squads faced multiple teams in the national top 10 across two days of action.
- The Vikings (1-0) begin a six-match roadswing this weekend, traveling to Toledo (Friday, February 8) and Bowling Green (Sunday, February 10) to continue the spring season.
- Cleveland State's match against Dayton was postponed last week due to poor weather conditions, as the Vikings stand at 1-0 on the young season.
- Entering the week, Kateryna Avram owns a team-best eight singles wins, while Gaby Schoenberg has tallied five this year.
- Cleveland State (2-4) will finally close out its seven-match season-opening roadswing this weekend, traveling to Duquesne on Sunday, February 10 for its lone contest this week.
- The Vikings split their matches last weekend, picking up a hard fought 4-3 victory at Dayton, and dropping a 5-2 match at Butler.
- Luke Phillips went 2-0 at No. 3 singles last weekend, picking up back-to-back three-set victories to improve to 3-1 this spring.
- Cleveland State (0-1) will play its second straight Big Ten foe as it opens its home slate this Saturday, February 9, against Michigan.
- The Vikings competed well at nationally ranked Ohio State in their season opener and dropped a 12-9 decision.
- Danny Tesler won 12 of 23 faceoffs against a preseason All-American while Ryan Haigh and Gabe Reno both had multi-goal outings in their collegiate debuts.
2019 Hall of Fame
- Tickets are now on sale for the 41st annual Cleveland State Athletics Hall of Fame Dinner & Induction Ceremony, which will take place on Saturday, February 16.
- The 2019 Hall of Fame class includes J'Nathan Bullock (Men's Basketball), Kailey Klein (Women's Basketball) and Phil Orno (Men's Tennis).
- For those interested in purchasing tickets to the Hall of Fame Dinner & Induction Ceremony, please fill out the RSVP form that can be found Here.
Giving Day 2019
- Mark your calendars for Cleveland State University's annual Giving Day on Wednesday, February 13, when you will have a chance to donate to your favorite Viking team. For 24 straight hours you will be able to donate at CSUGivingDay.com, helping to support fundraising initiatives for the entire athletic department.
Men's & Women's Golf Masters Raffle
- Help support the Cleveland State men's and women's golf teams by entering the team's Masters Raffle. Grand Prize wins two badges for two days at the 2019 Masters Tournament and a $1,000 American Express Gift Card. To enter Click Here.
This Week's Schedule
Thursday, February 7
Men's Basketball hosts Green Bay- 7:00 p.m.
Friday, February 8
Women's Tennis at Toledo – 1:00 p.m.
Wrestling hosts Clarion – 7:00 p.m.
Women's Basketball at UIC – 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 9
Fencing hosts John Szent-Kiraly Open – 8:30 a.m.
Lacrosse hosts Michigan – 11:00 a.m.
Men's Basketball hosts Milwaukee – 3:00 p.m.
Indoor Track & Field at Kent State Invite – All Day
Sunday, February 10
Wrestling at Michigan State – 1:00 p.m.
Women's Tennis at Bowling Green – 1:00 p.m.
Women's Basketball at IUPUI – 2:00 p.m.
Men's Tennis at Duquesne – 4:00 p.m.
Viking Of The Week
Mariah White, Women's Basketball
The sophomore averaged 23.0 points, 6.0 assists & 4.0 steals in a pair of wins against Detroit Mercy and Oakland, helping the Vikings improve to 6-5 in Horizon League play. White posted 17 points and a career-high tying seven assists against Detroit Mercy, while she recorded a career-high 29-point performance against Oakland. For the weekend, she shot 66-percent from the floor, including a .722 clip against Oakland when she went 13-for-18 from the field.
Other Top Performers
Tylar Mixon, Indoor Track & Field
Luke Phillips, Men's Tennis
Danny Tesler, Lacrosse
Brady Barnett, Wrestling