A look at what's happening in Cleveland State Athletics...
- Cleveland State (10-19, 7-11) will begin play in the #HLWBB Tournament as the No. 7 seed this week, and will open with a quarterfinal contest at No. 2 Green Bay on Wednesday, March 6.
- New for the 2018-19 season, only the top-eight teams earned a spot in the #HLWBB Tournament, with quarterfinal contests being played at campus sites and the semifinals and championship being hosted in Detroit, Mich. on Monday, March 11 and Tuesday, March 12.
- Last time out, the Vikings fell to Youngstown State, 74-61 in the regular season finale, and were led by a pair of 16-point performances from Mariah Miller and Savanna Crockett.
- Cleveland State finished the season with a 10-21 overall record, and won four of its last six regular season games.
- Last time out, the Vikings picked up an 89-80 overtime victory at Youngstown State in the regular season finale, led by a pair of 20-point performances from Tyree Appleby (25 pts) and Jaalam Hill (22).
- Tyree Appleby finished the year averaging a league-best 5.6 assists per game and also ranked fifth with 17.2 points per game, while Jaalam Hill posted a .591 clip from the floor to finish at the top of the league standings.
- Cleveland State will compete at the NCAA Midwest Regional this Saturday, March 9, at Notre Dame.
- The Vikings will be looking to qualify for the NCAA Championships later this month, which is being hosted by Cleveland State.
- Cleveland State will contest the Eastern Wrestling League Championships this Saturday, March 9, at George Mason.
- The winner of each weight class will earn an automatic berth to the NCAA Championships later this month.
- The EWL earned two additional automatic qualifying spots at 165 pounds and one additional qualifying spot at both 133 pounds and 285 pounds.
- Cleveland State (2-4) continues its six-game road trip this weekend by visiting Marquette.
- The Vikings claimed their first road win of the season this past weekend by taking down Mercer, 12-8.
- Michael Wilson had five goals and an assist in the win, including a natural hat trick to help put the game away in the fourth quarter.
- Danny Tesler won 17-of-23 faceoffs in the contest while competing in his home state.
- The Vikings (9-6) will begin a four-match roadswing this week, beginning with a 2:00 p.m. match at Mercer on Sunday, March 10 as part of their annual Spring Break Trip.
- Cleveland State went 2-1 last weekend, picking up wins against Buffalo (4-3) and Wooster (7-0), and dropping a tight 4-3 match against Xavier.
- Nico Mostardi, Raul Teichmann and Clark Bilinovich all went 3-0 on the weekend, Bilinovich notching his 20th singles win of the season, and Mostardi moving into ninth place on the CSU Singles Wins List with 63 career victories.
- Cleveland State (5-5) will kickoff a six-match roadswing this week, traveling to Akron for a midweek matchup on Wednesday, March 6 and then heading south to begin its annual Spring Break Trip at Mercer on Sunday, March 10.
- Last time out, the Vikings extended their winstreak with a pair of wins against DePaul (4-2) and Notre Dame College (7-0), remaining perfect in the MMTP with a 5-0 record this season.
- Klara Mrcela went 2-0 at No. 2 singles on the weekend, including a 6-2, 7-6(4) victory against DePaul that clinched Cleveland State's first-ever win over the Blue Demons.
- The Vikings will return to action at the USF Invitational next week, taking part in the two-day event on Monday, March 11 and Tuesday, March 12.
- Cleveland State opened the 2019 spring season at the Wexford Plantation Intercollegiate last week, led by Zach Robbins who finished tied for 37th with a three-round total of 226.
- Cleveland State will continue its spring slate at the MSU Citrus Challenge in Sorrento, Florida, competing Sunday, March 17 through Tuesday, March 19.
- The Vikings played their first spring tournament last week, finishing seventh at the Islander Classic in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- Madison Butler led the Vikings with a three-round score of 236 to finish tied for 18th.
- Cleveland State (3-10) will continue its non-league slate at the JU/UNF Spring Break Challenge this weekend, playing five games over a three-day span in Jacksonville, Fla.
- Last time out, the Vikings went 2-3 at the Liberty Spring Classic, picking up wins against Quinnipiac (6-1) and Robert Morris (11-8).
- Kelly Hysong led the Viking offense last week, posting seven hits and seven RBI, while Hanna Griffin picked up both wins in the circle, including a complete game against Quinnipiac.
This Week's Schedule
Wednesday, March 6
Women's Tennis at Akron – 2:00 p.m.
Women's Basketball at Green Bay – 8:00 p.m.
Friday, March 8
Softball vs. UNCW – 11:30 a.m.
Softball vs. Ball State – 2:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 9
Wrestling at EWL Championship – 10:00 a.m.
M/W Fencing at NCAA Midwest Regional – 9:00 a.m.
Lacrosse at Marquette – 1:00 p.m.
Softball vs. Charleston Southern – 2:00 p.m.
Softball vs. La Salle – 4:30 p.m.
Sunday, March 10
Softball vs. Georgetown – 9:00 a.m.
Women's Tennis at Mercer – 11:00 a.m.
Men's Tennis at Mercer – 2:00 p.m.
Viking Of The Week
Michael Wilson, Lacrosse
The sophomore recorded five goals and one assist in Cleveland State's 12-8 victory over Mercer last weekend. Early in the fourth quarter he had a natural hat trick, extending Cleveland State's lead over the Bears. For the season, he has eight goals and 11 assists for a team-high 19 points.
Other Top Performers
Tyree Appleby, Men's Basketball
Mariah Miller, Women's Basketball
Danny Tesler, Lacrosse
Clark Bilinovich, Men's Tennis
Klara Mrcela, Women's Tennis
Madison Butler, Women's Golf
Zach Robbins, Men's Golf
Kelly Hysong, Softball