VALPARAISO, Ind. – Rob Edwards scored 15 points and Kenny Carpenter added 13 points, but Cleveland State couldn't overcome a quick start from Valparaiso in a 78-57 setback to the Crusaders on Thursday night in the Athletics & Recreation Center.
CSU fell to 7-18 overall and 3-10 in the Horizon League, while Valparaiso improved to 20-5 overall and remained in first place in the League at 10-2.
- Edwards tied for game-high honors with his 15 points and added seven rebounds and two assists.
- Carpenter hit 6-of-14 from the floor for his 13 points and added six rebounds and a pair of assists.
- Demonte Flannigan scored eight points with five rebounds and two assists.
- Kasheem Thomas scored seven points, while Evan Clayborne grabbed four rebounds and had a steal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tonight's game was the 360th at CSU for head coach Gary Waters, tying him with Ray Dieringer for most games coach in program history.
- CSU shot 23-of-62 (.371) from the floor, while Valpo finished 32-of-62 (.516).
- The Crusaders hit five of their first six three-pointers to race out to a quick lead in the first half.
- Valpo held a 41-33 advantage on the boards, while CSU had 11 offensive rebounds to 10 for the Crusaders.
- The Vikings travel to UIC for a 4:00 pm ET contest on Saturday (Feb. 11).