PDF GAME NOTES
Cleveland State at UIC
• Cleveland State concludes its two-game road swing with a 4:00 pm ET contest at UIC on Saturday (Feb. 11) afternoon.
• The Vikings are 7-18 overall and 3-10 in the Horizon League after falling at Valparaiso, 78-57, on Thursday night.
• UIC is 13-12 overall (6-6 HL) and is coming off an 84-81 win over Youngstown State at home on Thrusday night.
• Saturday's game will be broadcast live on AM 1420, WHK, with Al Pawlowski providing the play-by-play.
• The game will also be available on the WatchESPN App and ESPN3.
THE UIC SERIES:
• CSU leads the all-time series with UIC, 46-35. The 81 games are the second most against any opponent in school history (YSU: 84).
• Since the 2005-06 season, CSU has won 20 of the last 26 meetings against UIC.
• UIC won the first meeting this season, 59-54, in the Wolstein Center on Jan. 12.
• The Vikings are 21-18 all-time vs. UIC in Chicago.
GAME 25 REVIEW: @VALPARAISO 78, CSU 57 (2/9/17):
• Valparaiso hit five of its first six three pointers to race out to a quick lead and claim a victory over Cleveland State.
• Rob Edwards led the Vikings with 15 points and seven rebounds.
• Kenny Carpenter scored 13 points with six rebounds, two assists and a steal.
• Demonte Flannigan had eight points and five rebounds, while Kasheem Thomas scored seven points.
• CSU has hit a three-pointer in a school-record 591 straight games.
• The Vikings have hit at least three three's in 140 straight games.
• The last time CSU failed to make a three-pointer was Feb. 21, 1998, when the Vikings were 0-for-8 in a 60-57 win over Detroit.
WATERS SET TO BREAK RECORD:
• Saturday's game at UIC will be the 361st career game at CSU for head coach Gary Waters, the most for a men's basketball coach in program history.
• Waters tied Ray Dieringer's mark with his 360th career game at CSU on Thursday night at Valparaiso.
• Waters is tops in school history with 192 career wins and ranks second in CSU history in winning percentage (.534).
• He has led 12 of his teams to the post-season in his 20 seasons as a head coach, including three trips to the NCAA's.
VIKINGS HIT 90:
• CSU's 90-73 win over Detroit Mercy (Feb. 2) was the first time the Vikings scored 90 points since a 92-85 win at Oakland (2/2/14).
• The Vikings used a 57 point second half vs. the Titans to hit the 90 point mark.
• CSU shot 19-of-31 (.613) from the field in the second half and hit eight straight shots at one point to key a 19-0 run, which was part of a 29-2 spurt.
EDWARDS PROVING WORTHY OF PRESEASON HONOR:
• Rob Edwards was named to the preseason All-Horizon League second team.
• He ranks sixth in the Horizon League in scoring (16.0), third in steals (1.4) and 11th in three-pointers (1.9).
• Edwards has 12 career 20-point games, including eight this year.
• He scored a career-high 32 points in the win at Oakland (Jan. 16), bettering his old career-high of 28 points at No. 1 ranked Kentucky (Nov. 28) when he set career-highs in field goals made (12) and attempted (21).
• Edwards had a career-best seven steals at Milwaukee (Jan. 20), the second most by a Horizon League player in a game this year.
• The seven steals were the most by a CSU player since Craig Caldwell made eight at Wright State (2/19/95).
• Edwards has amassed 797 career points.
• Last year, he averaged 12.4 points, 3.9 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.2 steals, earning a spot on the Horizon League All-Freshman team.
• He started 30 games last year, the most for a freshman in CSU history, and also logged a CSU freshman record 994 minutes.
KASH DROPS DIMES:
• Kasheem Thomas dished out a career-high 10 assists at Youngstown State on Jan. 28.
• Thomas became the first CSU player with double-digit assists in a game since Charlie Lee had 10 helpers vs. UIC (2/2/2013).
• Thomas ranks eighth in the Horizon League with 3.4 assists per game and is second in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.0).
• He has recorded at least six assists in six games this year, including nine in his first collegiate game vs. Kent State (Nov. 11).
• Thomas has started all 24 games this year and became the first CSU freshman to start a season opener since 2003-04 (Walt Waters).
• He is averaging 7.6 points, 2.7 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game.
• Bobby Word is sixth in the Horizon League with 2.3 three-pointers per game. His 58 total three's are also fifth most in the League.
• He has nine games this year with at least four three-pointers.
• Word hit four three-pointers in four straight games from Jan. 20-Feb. 2.
• Word scored a career-high 25 points vs. Western Michigan (Dec. 7), hitting 9-of-12 from the field (5-8 3FG).
• Word ranks 24th in the League in scoring (11.0) in his first season at CSU after sitting out last year when he transferred from Oral Roberts.
WRIGHT JUST MISSES DOUBLE DOUBLE:
• Anthony Wright just missed his first career double-double on Jan. 28 at YSU.
• The junior finished with 11 points and a career-high nine rebounds in 19 minutes off the bench.
• He followed that up with 11 points, five rebounds, two assists and two steals vs. Detroit Mercy (Feb. 2), hitting 5-of-6 from the field.
• Wright scored a career-high 14 points with seven rebounds at Belmont (Dec. 22).
FLANNIGAN AMONG LEAGUE LEADERS:
• Since missing the first four games due to a medical issue, Demonte Flannigan has come back to provide a strong post presence.
• Flannigan is averaging 11.2 points, 23rd best in the League and a team-high 5.7 rebounds per game (10th in HL), while shooting .479 from the field (14th in HL).
• He has six career 20-point games and six career double-doubles, including 17-point, 10 rebound effort at Wright State (Jan. 5) this year.
• He grabbed a CSU season-high 13 rebounds in the Dec. 29 setback to Green Bay, his sixth career double-digit rebound game.
• Derek Sloan set career highs in points (10) and rebounds (7) vs. Canisius (Nov. 15). He ranks 13th in the Horizon League with 0.6 blocks per game.
• Gavin Peppers has not played this season after injuring his foot the day before CSU's exhibition game (Nov. 6).
• Anthony Wright tallied a career high 14 points with seven rebounds at Belmont (12/23), hitting 5-of-7 from field and both three-point attempts.
• Jibri Blount tied his career-high with 11 rebounds vs. UT-Martin (Nov. 18).
• Blount is the son of former Pittsburgh Steeler great and NFL Hall of Famer, Mel Blount.
• Kasheem Thomas tied his career-high with 16 points at Oakland (Jan. 16), a total he also had at Duquesne (Nov. 27).
• Nelson Maxwell tied his career-high with eight points (3-6 FG), adding three rebounds, one steal and one assist vs. Valparaiso (1/14).
• Evan Clayborne is shooting 14-of-22 (.636) from the floor this year.
• Jamarcus Hairston scored 13 points (3-6 3FG) vs. Kent State (Nov. 12) in his CSU debut, hitting a three-pointer with 2.6 seconds left to send game into overtime.
• CSU's game at Kentucky on Nov. 23 marked the second time in program history that the Vikings played the No. 1 team in the country (Cincinnati, 1999).
• CSU returns home to host Northern Kentucky on Feb. 16 at 7:45 pm, beginning a stretch of three of four games at home to close the regular season.
• The game will be broadcast live on Spectrum Sports.
• It is also a doubleheader with the CSU women hosting Wright State at 5:30 pm.