CLEVELAND, Ohio – Rob Edwards recorded his 13th career 20-point game and Demonte Flannigan scored 15 points on Senior Day to lead the Vikings to a 69-55 win over Youngstown State on Saturday afternoon at the Wolstein Center.
The Vikings closed the regular season at 9-21 overall and 5-13 in the Horizon League. YSU finishes the regular season with a 11-20 overall mark and also went 5-13 in the League.
- Edwards posted his 13th career 20-point game and ninth this season with a strong effort at the free throw line where he was 11-of-14. He added seven rebounds and two assists.
- Flannigan, playing his final game at the Wolstein Center, made 6-of-15 from the field and added three rebounds and two assists.
- Anthony Wright chipped in eight points, five rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- Terrell Hales grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds in 19 minutes of action off the bench. Hales, who grabbed six offensive boards, became the third CSU player to grab double digit rebounds in a game this year (Flannigan, Jibri Blount).
- Derek Sloan finished with six points, five rebounds, two steals and a blocked shot.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Vikings took their largest lead of the first half (19-10) on a Wright layup nine minutes into the contest.
- YSU answered with a 9-3 run over the next four-plus minutes to pull within three (22-19), but the Vikings used a Word three-pointer to regain a nine-point lead (30-21) with 3:19 on the clock.
- The Penguins closed the half by scoring five straight points to slice their deficit to four points (30-26) at halftime.
- CSU opened up a 10 point lead (38-28) early in the second half on a pair of free throws from Edwards, but YSU used six straight points to slice the deficit to four points (38-34) at the 16 minute mark.
- However, an 11-4 run by the Vikings allowed CSU to open up a 49-38 lead midway through the second half and the lead reached as many as 20 points (67-47) with 2:31 to play when Flannigan hit a three-pointer.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Flannigan and Tim Hasbargen were honored in a pre-game ceremony for Senior Day as the duo was making their final appearance at the Wolstein Center.
- Kasheem Thomas started his 30th game of the season, tied for the most by a freshman in school history. Shawn Hood (1983-84) and Rob Edwards (2015-16) also started 30 games as freshmen.
- CSU committed a season-low seven turnovers and forced 17 YSU turnovers. The Vikings turned those 17 miscues into 22 points.
- YSU came into the game averaging 77.9 points in League play and the 55 points were the fewest scored by YSU in 18 League games this year.
- The Vikings held a 42-38 advantage on the boards and grabbed 19 offensive rebounds, turning them into 19 second chance points.
- CSU opens play in the Horizon League championship with a first round game on Friday (March 3) at either 5:30 pm or 8:00 pm.
- The complete bracket will be announced at the conclusion of Sunday's League games.
- All games in the tournament will be played at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Mich.