NCAA MEN'S GOLF COLUMBUS REGIONAL
May 14-16, 2018
Columbus, Ohio | The Scarlet Course
2017-18 CLEVELAND STATE MEN'S GOLF NOTES
- Cleveland State will compete in the NCAA Regionals from May 14-16 at The Scarlet Course in Columbus, Ohio, hosted by Ohio State.
- The Scarlet Course is a par-71, measuring 7,364 yards.
- The Vikings are the 13th seed in the region that includes top-seeded Oklahoma State, No. 2 seed Illinois and third-seeded Texas Tech. UNLV, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Penn State, Tennessee, Louisville, Jacksonville, Michigan State, Yale and CSU round out the field. There will also be 10 individuals playing in the Columbus regional.
- This will be the second time that CSU will play at The Scarlet Course in the NCAA regionals (2008).
- This is CSU's fifth straight appearance at the NCAA Regionals and the ninth in the last 13 years.
- CSU also played in the NCAA regionals in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
- CSU earned the automatic bid from the Horizon League after winning the League Championship in Florida (April 22-24). It was the fifth straight League title for the Vikings and the ninth in the last 13 years.
- The Vikings shot a first round 303 and were in second place after day one. A second round 292 - the lowest round of the tournament - vaulted CSU into the lead - and the Vikings shot a final round 294 to claim the title by 18 shots.
- Anton Krecic was the runner-up, while Blake Prince finished fifth as both players were named to the all-tournament team.
- Krecic also earned a spot on the All-Horizon League first team after posting a 73.7 scoring average.
- Three of CSU's players are ranked among the top-eight in scoring average in program history. Anton Krecic ranks fourth at 74.7, while Joey Krecic is sixth at 74.9 and Blake Prince eighth at 75.2.
- Head coach Steve Weir has been named the Horizon League Coach of the Year five times in his career (2008, 2009, 2011, 2016, 2017).
CLEVELAND STATE LINEUP
CSU will tee off on the 1st tee between 9:20 am and 10:04 am on Monday (May 14).
Teams will be re-paired on Tuesday (May 15) and Wednesday (May 16) based on scores.
JULES BLAKELY | FRESHMAN | WESTLAKE, OHIO
Has played in five events and 13 rounds this year... has a 78.4 scoring average... shot a second round 67 at CSU Invitational (Oct. 2), tied for lowest round on team this year... fired an opening round 74 at South Florida Invitational (March 12)... four-time all-conference performer at Westlake HS, earning first team honors in each of his final three seasons... named the conference MVP as a senior
ANTON KRECIC | JUNIOR | COLUMBIA STATION, OHIO
First Team All-Horizon League selection... is third in Horizon League with a 73.7 scoring average, playing all 29 rounds... scoring average is currently eighth best in a season in school history... leads team with 10 rounds of par or better and three top-five finishes... CSU's top finisher in eight of 10 events... season-low round of 67 is tied for best on team and tied for third lowest by a League player this year... part of League title team last year, earning medalist honors with rounds of 71-75-69 and winning title with a birdie on second playoff hole... tied for fourth at Marshall Invitational (Sept. 11-12) with rounds of 71-67 (138)... finished third at CSU Invitational (Oct. 2-3), carding rounds of 72-75-70 (217)... tied for ninth at Dayton Flyer Invitational with 219 total (72-73-74)... shot 77-74-73 (224) to tie for 18th at Seattle U Redhawk Invitational at Chambers Bay (April 2-3)... runner-up at League Championship (76-71-70 - 217), earning spot on all-tournament team... was second team all-league honoree last year... ranks fourth in program history with 74.7 career average.
JOEY KRECIC | SENIOR | COLUMBIA STATION, OHIO
Averaging 75.7 this year to rank 17th in the League... has played in all 29 rounds... season-low round of 67 is tied for lowest on team and tied for third lowest in Horizon League... part of last four League championship teams, tying for 19th at a freshman, finishing as runner-up as a sophomore, tying for 10th place last year and finishing 12th this year... closed Eastern Kentucky Invitational (Sept. 16-17) with back-to-back rounds of 72... finished fourth at CSU Invitational, shooting 73-78-67 (218)... tied for 14th at Dayton Flyer Invitational with rounds of 75-71-74 (220)... top finisher on team at South Florida Invitational, tying for 14th place with rounds of 73-78-76 (227)... ranks sixth in program history with a 74.9 career scoring average.
BLAKE PRINCE | SENIOR | EAST LIVERPOOL, OHIO
Ranks 16th in Horizon League with a 75.7 average... has been part of four Horizon League championship teams, finishing 19th as a freshman and sophomore, 13th last year and fifth this year... has played all 29 rounds this year... season-low round of 67 is tied for team low and tied for third lowest by a League player this year... tied for 23rd at Turning Stone Intercollegiate (Spet. 3-4), including a second round 69... opened with rounds of 67-69 to tie for 24th at Eastern Kentucky Invitational (Sept. 16-17)... shot 74-78-70 (222) to place fifth at League Championship and earn spot on all-tournament team... ranks eighth in program history with a 75.2 career scoring average.
ZACH ROBBINS | FRESHMAN | GRAND RAPIDS, MICH.
Will serve as team alternate at NCAA regionals... has played in four events and 11 rounds this year, posting a 79.0 average... opened CSU Invitational (Oct. 2-3) with back-to-back rounds of 72... did not compete last year as a redshirt.
ZAK SUPELAK | FRESHMAN | COPLEY, OHIO
Has a 76.5 scoring average this year, ranking 27th in the League... has played in 25 rounds with two rounds of par or better... tied for 24th at Marshall Invitational (Sept. 11-12) with rounds of 73-71... fired a final round 72 at Eastern Kentucky Invitational (Sept. 17)... tied for 14th at Dayton Flyer Invitational (Oct. 16-17), shooting 74-76-70 (220)... tied for 18th at League Championship (81-75-76 - 232 )... four-time state qualifier at Walsh Jesuit HSwho earned All-Ohio honors as a senior.
HEAD COACH: Steve Weir, 11th season
STUDENT ASSISTANT COACH: Patrick Luth