vs. Oakland | Saturday, Oct. 27 | 6:00 p.m.
THE OPENING KICK:
• Cleveland State will play its final home match this Saturday, Oct. 27, as it hosts Oakland while celebrating Senior Night.
• The Vikings won last year's meeting, 3-0, to take the all-time series lead between the teams at 8-7-0.
• The Vikings have won each of the past three regular season meetings against Oakland, scoring multiple goals in each victory.
• Vlad Jandric had a brace in last year's win at Oakland while Noah Pio also scored. Gianluca DiFranco found the net in the 2016 win.
• This is the second time that CSU has played Oakland in its home finale as the Vikings also welcomed Oakland for their final home match in 2016.
LAST TIME OUT:
• Cleveland State tied the match with under four minutes left, but Northern Kentucky had the last laugh, scoring in the final minute for a 2-1 win.
• CSU had a 12-9 advantage in shots over NKU.
• Junior Hayden Parente had scored his first goal as a Viking to level the match with Lawrence Karpeh providing the assist.
• Cleveland State must win against Oakland to keep its Horizon League Tournament hopes alive.
• While it took the fifth seed in 2017, CSU has been seeded fourth or better in the Horizon League Tournament in eight of the past 10 seasons, the highest figure in the League in this span.
• CSU's last two wins marked the first time since 1984 the Vikings won back-to-back matches against teams currently in a Power Five conference. It was the first time that it won two such matches on the road since 1974.
• Vlad Jandric was named Horizon League Offensive Player of the Week Oct. 1 and Thomas M'Barek earned Defensive Player of the Week honors Oct. 8. It marked the first time since 2011 that Vikings were honored by the HL in back-to-back weeks.
• Gabriel Pewu has five goals and an assist in the past nine matches.
• Noah Pio has six assists in the past nine matches.
• Jandric's hat trick, in the 3-1 win over UIC, was the first by a Viking since Admir Suljevic achieved the feat during the 2013 campaign.
• Cleveland State's win over UIC ended a 12-match unbeaten run by the Flames against Horizon League opposition.
• Noah Pio has a point in 12 of the past 25 matches, scoring in five of them. Pio was among the top 10 in points, goals and assists in HL play in 2017.
• Cleveland State has outshot its opponent in nine of 13 matches, including all six Horizon League fixtures.
• The Vikings are the only team to outshoot their opponent in every Horizon League match this season.
• Noah Pio has scored or assisted on nine of CSU's last 15 goals in Horizon League matches.
• Among the 65 starts made by Vikings on defense or in goal this season: 27 starts have been made by true freshman or redshirt freshman, 35 starts have been made by sophomores with one start by a junior and two by a senior.
• Eight CSU rookies have started at least once with three freshmen owning 7+ starts (Alex Gyerman, Ryan Kolonick, Jannis Schmidt).
• Gabriel Pewu's goal at Milwaukee was his first-career tally in HL play.
• Cleveland State closes the season next Friday, Nov. 3, at Detroit Mercy.