Second Annual Cleveland State Magnus Cup
November 22-24, 2013
9:00 a.m. (Prelims), 5:00 p.m. (Finals)
Location: Robert F. Busbey Natatorium- Cleveland, Ohio
SETTING THE SCENE:
The Cleveland State men's and women's swimming and diving teams will be in action this week on Friday-Sunday (Nov. 22-24), as the team will swim against Duquesne (women only), St. Francis Pa. (women only), Xavier, Buffalo, Youngstown State (women only), and Ashland in the Cleveland State Magnus Cup at Robert F. Busbey Natatorium.
REVIEWING LAST TIME OUT:
The men and women picked up two wins each on Friday (Nov. 8)- St. Bonaventure and on Saturday (Nov. 9)- Niagara.
On the men's side, theVikings had four swimmers earn a pair of indivdual wins in their swim events against St. Bonaventure. Sophomore diver Danny Roberts won both the 1-meter (304.13) and 3-meter (323.25), junior Kyle Riordan won the 500 freestyle (4:45.61) and the 1,000 freestyle (9:48.17), junior Nathan Grant was atop in the 100 breastroke (58.45) and the 200 breastroke (2:06.87), and rounding it out was senior Alex Lewis who finished tops in the 50 freestyle (20.60) and in the 100 butterfly (50.35). Against Niagara, Cleveland State had nine first place winners on the day, including a pair of wins by Alex Lewis in the 50 freestyle (21.57) and in the 100 butterfly (52.12). CSU diver Danny Roberts had the top score in the 3-meter (303.45) and in the 1-meter (296.85).
The women also had a strong showing against St. Bonaventure and Niagara. The Vikings had three swimmers earning two first place wins in their individual swim events against SBU. Hayley Smith, Sam Sposet, and Rowan Elbadry led the way. Against Niagara, the Vikings had 10 first place finishes on the day. CSU was led by Jodi Turk, who won three swim events on the day in the 1,000 freestyle, 200 IM, and the 500 freestyle. Senior Alex Johansson won a pair of events in the 100 butterfly and was part of a first place finish in the 200 medley relay.
FINISHING AT THE TOP:
- The men and women had 22 first place finishes out of 32 events against St. Bonaventure. Against Niagara the Vikings won 19 of the 26 swim events.
SECOND ANNUAL MAGNUS CUP:
- The men took home first place in last year's first annual Magnus Cup and the women took second.
- Al Shillito and Berry Thompson led the way for CSU.
- Shillito had two school records, breaking the 100 back (49.13), and the 200 back (1:47.04). Thompson was in five winning relays and won three individual events (50 free, 100 fly, and 100 free).
ROBERTS AND SPOSET EARN HL DIVER OF THE WEEK:
- Sophomore divers Danny Roberts and Samantha Sposet earned Horizon League Diver of the Week honors. Sposet and Roberts finished first in the 1 and 3-meter diving in back-to-back meets.
- Roberts finished first in the 1-meter dive (304.13 vs. SBU and 296.85 vs. Niagara). Roberts, in the 3-meter dive, also finished first (303.45 vs. NU and 323.25 vs. SBU). Sposet also finished first in the 1-meter dive (244.35 vs. SBU and against Niagara 260.17). In the 3-meter she finished atop with a score of 249.97 vs. NU, and 254.33 vs. SBU.
LEWIS, GRANT, RIORDAN WIN A PAIR VS. SBU:
- Alex Lewis finished on top in the 50 free (20.60) and in the 100 butterfly (50.35). Nathan Grant finished first in the 100 breast (58.45) and 200 breast (2:06.87). Kyle Riordan won the 500 free (4:45.61) and the 1,000 free (9:48.17).
- The men's and women's swimming and diving teams will return to the pool on Tuesday (Dec. 3) as the swim team will compete against Canisius, John Carroll, Case Western, and Notre Dame (Ohio) at Robert F. Busbey Natatorium. Swiming will begin at 3:00 p.m.