SWIM MEET # 15
February 7, 2014
SWIM MEET #16
at Notre Dame
February 8, 2014
SETTING THE SCENE: The Cleveland State men's and women's swimming and diving teams will be in action away from home against conference opponent Valparaiso for their final conference meet of the regular season on Friday (Feb. 7) at 4:00 p.m. CSU will then travel to Notre Dame on Saturday. Swimming and diving will begin at 12:00 p.m.
REVIEWING LAST TIME OUT: The men's and women's swimming and diving teams defeated conference opponent UIC (men: 165.5-134.5, women: 181-114)over the weekend on Sat. Feb. 1.
The women had solid showings from senior Alex Johansson, who finished first in the 200 medley relay, 50 free, 100 fly, and the 400 free relay. Freshman Rowan Elbadry had wins in the 200 medley relay, 200 free, and the 400 free relay.
On the men's side, junior Nathan Grant, senior Al Shillito, and freshman Patrick Walsh had strong showings in their events. Grant earned three first place finishes (200 medley relay, 100 breast, 200 breast). Shillito matched Grant's win total (200 medley relay, 100 back, 200 back). Walsh earned first place finishes in the 500 and 1,000 free.
CONVINCING WIN OVER UIC:
- Between the men and the women, the Vikings combined for 20 top finishes in their events against the Flames.
GRANT AND SHILLITO SHINE VS. UIC:
- Nathan Grant had a solid meet winning the 200 medley relay (1:33.52), 100 breast (58.31), and the 200 breast (2:06.48) against the Flames.
- Al Shillito earned four wins in the meet, coming in the 200 medley relay (1:33.52), 100 back (50.73), and in the200 back (1:53.19) against UIC.
DIVERS MAKE BIG IMPACT IN WIN:
- Sophomores Danny Roberts and Stephen Schillero scored very well on their diving attempts in the 1-meter and 3-meter. In the 1-meter Roberts finished first with a score of 302.03. Schillero took runner-up with a score of 277.13 against UIC.
- In 3-meter diving Schillero finished atop the leader board with a score of 339.90 and Roberts finished behind him with a score of 323.40 against the Flames.
- Sophomore Sammie Sposet had a great day on the diving board taking runner-up in both the 1-meter (266.18) and 3-meter dive (229.80) against UIC.
WALSH AND SMITH IMPRESS:
- Patrick Walsh won both the 500 and 1,000 freestyle. He timed out at 4:44.40 in the 500 free and in the 1,000 free had a time of 9:43.09.
- Hayley Smith won the 100 back (59.55) and the 200 back (2:07.19), and took third in the 100 fly (59.21).
U.S. WINTER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS:
- Eight talented CSU swimmers (Adam Ingledew, Alex Lewis, Alex Johansson, Al Shillito, Madisen Tretter, Justin Kermack, Nathan Grant, and Gage Alleman) had the opportunity to swim against top talent in Knoxville, Tennessee from Dec. 5 - Dec. 7.
LEWIS MAKES HISTORY AT U.S. WINTER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS:
- At U.S. Nationals, Lewis set back-to-back school records in the 4x50 Free Relay and in the 100 butterfly. His time in the 50 free was an incredible 19.99 as the lead off swimmerand in the 100 fly he had an impressive wall touch of 48.11.
- The Vikings will be out of action until Saturday (Feb. 22) as CSU will compete in the Kenyon College Swimming and Diving Invitational at Gambier, Ohio. Swimming and diving events will begin at 1:30 p.m.