MUNCIE, Ind. – The Cleveland State men's tennis team picked up its first victory of the 2014 spring season Sunday afternoon, defeating Ball State, 5-2.
"I thought we made some small steps in doubles today, if we keep doing that each time out we will be a good doubles team by the time it counts during league play. We also made some small steps in singles today, and going 1-1 against two tough MAC opponents on the first weekend is a great start for the season," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "The guys came out ready to compete today and had a lot of energy. We were able to get out early in the majority of the singles matches and then finished them off during the second sets."
After picking up just one doubles win (Matt Ford/Jorg van der Vloet - No. 3) and dropping the first point of the day, the Vikings came out strong in singles play picking up victories in five of the six matches.
Two of CSU's singles wins came from Matt Kuelker and Manuel Bellutti, who both went 2-0 in singles play on opening weekend. Kuelker picked up a 6-4, 6-4 victory at No. 3 singles, while Bellutti posted a 6-5 (3), 6-3 win at the No. 5 position.
CSU's final point came from Matt Ford at the No. 6 spot, as he picked up a 4-6, 6-0, 6-3 win.
"After coming out and having a good match today, we need to keep the momentum going and work hard in practice throughout the next week. Next up we will face another tough MAC opponent in Buffalo, and we are ready for the challenge," Etzkin said.
Cleveland State will continue the 2014 spring season next weekend when they face Buffalo (Saturday, Feb. 1) and Penn State (Sunday, Feb. 2).
Cleveland State 5, Ball State 2
1. Elliott/Leonard (BSU) def. Shabib/VanMeter (CSU), 6-4
2. Anderson/Smith (BSU) def. Kuelker/Marks (CSU), 6-4
3. van der Vloet/Ford (CSU) def. Stutz/Downs (BSU), 6-3
1. Ali Shabib (CSU) def. Ray Leonard (BSU), 6-5 (6), 6-2
2. Patrick Elliott (BSU) def. Jorg van der Vloet (CSU), 5-6 (5), 6-2, 10-8
3. Matt Kuelker (CSU) def. Lucas Anderson (BSU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Joe VanMeter (CSU) def. Austin Smith (BSU), 6-5 (6), 6-1
5. Manuel Bellutti (CSU) def. Patrick Downs (BSU), 6-5 (3), 6-3
6. Matt Ford (CSU) def. Andrew Stutz (BSU), 4-6, 6-0, 6-3