"I think the highlight of today's match was definitely Joe VanMeter, who played some good tennis in both singles and doubles," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "Joe and Ali closed out a close doubles match, and then in singles Joe fought off two set points in the first set before closing it out in a tiebreaker, and then won the second set relatively easily. He hit freely though the ball in big situations, and he played some good tennis in pressure situations today."
VanMeter's win came at No. 5 singles, as he posted a 6-5 (7), 6-1 victory over Thomas Caputo. Shabib's victory came at No. 2 singles, as he earned a 6-3, 6-0 straight-set victory over Ismael Dinia. The wins marked the second of the spring season for both VanMeter and Shabib.
"Ali was able to stay on top of his opponent, and pick up a win in a tough environment today. He did a good job of staying focused and was able to come away with a big win," Etzkin said. "Also, even in defeat, Nolan Marks played a solid match today, falling to a tough opponent. There was definitely some good tennis being played on their court."
Nolan Marks, who was playing in just his third match of the spring season, put forth a strong effort at the No. 6 spot for the Vikings, dropping a hard-fought 2-6, 6-3, 10-8 match.
VanMeter and Shabib also teamed up for CSU's lone doubles win against Binghamton, as they picked up a 6-5 (2) win at the top of the doubles lineup.
"Every match we played today I thought we could have won. Soon, those close matches will start going our way and we will be able to get back on the winning track – which hopefully will start tomorrow at St. Bonaventure," Etzkin said.
The Vikings will close out their five-match roadswing tomorrow, facing St. Bonaventure at 1:00 p.m.
Binghamton 5, Cleveland State 2
- Shabib/VanMeter (CSU) def. Lesage/Dinia (BING), 6-5 (2)
- Maisin/Nambi (BING) def. Ford/van der Vloet (CSU), 6-4
- Hazarika/Hureau (BING) def. Kuelker/Marks (CSU), 6-3
- Robin Lesage (BING) def. Jorg van der Vloet (CSU), 6-4, 6-5 (4)
- Ali Shabib (CSU) def. Ismael Dinia (BING), 6-3, 6-0
- Eliott Hureau (BING) def. Matt Kuelker (CSU), 6-1, 6-2
- Alexander Maisin (BING) def. Manuel Bellutti (CSU), 6-0, 6-2
- Joe VanMeter (CSU) def. Thomas Caputo (BING), 6-5 (7), 6-1
- Sid Hazarika (BING) def. Nolan Marks (CSU), 2-6, 6-3, 10-8