WESTLAKE, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team picked up a pair of victories Sunday, as they claimed a 6-1 victory over IPFW and a 7-0 victory over Oberlin College. With the wins, CSU improved to 5-4 on the season – breaking the .500 mark for the first time this season.
"I thought we had a good team effort in both matches today, everyone played for us and everyone helped us get the two victories which put us above .500 for the first time this year," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "Against IPFW we were able to come through in doubles, led by our No. 1 doubles team who really put the pressure on the other team by winning some fast points. We were in control throughout singles play then, and we stayed the course against a strong IPFW team and came out on top with a solid 6-1 victory."
The Vikings opened both matches by picking up the doubles point, winning at all three positions against Oberlin, and at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles against IPFW before halting play at the No. 3 spot.
Throughout both contests CSU dropped just one match, as the Vikings picked up six singles wins against Oberlin and five against IPFW. Matt Kuelker was one of three Vikings to go 2-0 in doubles play on Sunday, picking up a three-set victory at No. 3 singles against IPFW and a straight-set victory at No. 1 singles against Oberlin. Kuelker's two victories gave him 70 for this career, becoming just the sixth Viking all-time to notch 70 career victories.
Joe VanMeter and Manuel Bellutti were the other two Vikings to go 2-0 on Sunday – VanMeter picking up wins at the No. 4 (IPFW) and No. 2 (Oberlin) spots, and Bellutti earning victories at the No. 5 (IPFW) and No. 3 spots (Oberlin).
Also earning singles victories for the Vikings against IPFW were Jorg van der Vloet (No. 1 singles) and Ali Shabib (No. 2), while Nolan Marks (No. 4), Matt Ford (No. 5) and Andre Mick (No. 6) claimed singles wins against Oberlin. Mick's singles win was the first of his collegiate career, as it was also his first singles appearance of his collegiate career.
"We really learned something from our Oberlin match, their intensity in doubles play was great, but we were able to withstand that and get the doubles point and then cruise to the victory. I want to give credit to the Oberlin team, because they played very hard and really gave us a competitive match. Andre Mick had a great match against Oberlin, picking up his first collegiate singles and doubles wins, which was great to see," Etzkin said.
Next up for the Vikings will be a road trip to Saint Louis (Friday, Feb. 28) and Southern Illinois (Saturday, March 1).
Cleveland State 6, IPFW 1
- Shabib/VanMeter (CSU) def. King/Cobos (IPFW), 8-1
- Kuelker/Bellutti (CSU) def. Guell/Muadi (IPFW), 8-6
- Ford/van der Vloet (CSU) vs. Andrews/Wangensten-Oye (IPFW), 6-6, unfinished
- Jorg van der Vloet (CSU) def. Daniel King (IPFW), 6-3, 6-3
- Ali Shabib (CSU) def. Andres Cobos (IPFW), 6-1, 7-5
- Matt Kuelker (CSU) def. Gerard Guell (IPFW), 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
- Joe VanMeter (CSU) def. Martin Muadi (IPFW), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
- Manuel Bellutti (CSU) def. Connor Andrews (IPFW), 6-4, 6-4
- Karl Wangensten-Oye (IPFW) def. Matt Ford (CSU), 6-0, 6-2
Cleveland State 7, Oberlin 0
- VanMeter/Marks (CSU) def. Louis/Marks (OC), 8-1
- Shabib/Kuelker (CSU) def. Paik/Davis (OC), 8-2
- Mick/Ford (CSU) def. Lichtmacher/McKenna (OC), 8-2
- Matt Kuelker (CSU) def. Callan Louis (OC), 6-0, 6-3
- Joe VanMeter (CSU) def. Charlie Marks (OC), 6-0, 6-0
- Manuel Bellutti (CSU) def. Ian Paik (OC), 6-1, 6-4
- Nolan Marks (CSU), def. Abraham Davis (OC), 6-1, 6-4
- Matt Ford (CSU), def. Paul Farah (OC), 6-1, 6-1
- Andre Mick (CSU) def. Jeremy Lichtmacher (OC), 6-2, 6-1