ST. LOUIS, Mo. – The Cleveland State men's tennis team extended its win streak to five matches Friday evening, earning a 6-1 victory at Saint Louis. The Vikings are now 6-4 on the season.
"This was a solid match for us today, we played with a lot of energy and discipline, and we were in control of the match from beginning to end," assistant coach Frank Polito said. "We had a great day in doubles play, playing from ahead in all of the matches. After getting the doubles point it gave us a ton of momentum going into singles and we really thrived off of that. I feel like we are playing some good tennis right now, and are definitely moving in the right direction."
The Vikings were able to get out to a 1-0 start after picking up the doubles point for the fifth straight match. CSU posted victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles from Ali Shabib/Joe VanMeter and Matt Kuelker/Nolan Marks, respectively. Over the past five contests, the Vikings have now won 11 of 13 completed doubles matches.
Cleveland State was able to carry the momentum into singles play, as the Vikings picked up wins at No. 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 singles. Jorg van der Vloet earned a 6-3, 6-1 victory at the top of the lineup, while Kuelker posted a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 2 singles. Kuelker, who was playing in his hometown of St. Louis, Mo., marked his 71st career victory and is now tied for fifth all-time on the career singles wins list.
Manuel Bellutti continued the winning ways for the Vikings at the No. 4 spot, earning a 6-3, 6-4 victory. VanMeter then won his sixth straight match at No. 5 singles (6-1, 6-2), while Nolan Marks earned a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 6 singles.
The Vikings will continue their weekend roadswing tomorrow (Saturday, March 1), as they are set to face Southern Illinois.
Cleveland State 6, Saint Louis 1
- Shabib/VanMeter (CSU) def. Flanagan/Sallaly (SLU), 8-5
- Kuelker/Marks (CSU) def. Kella/Flores (SLU), 8-3
- Poledica/Dodhiawala (SLU) vs. Ford/van der Vloet (CSU), 4-7, unfinished
- Jorg van der Vloet (CSU) def. Patrick Kella (SLU), 6-3, 6-1
- Matt Kuelker (CSU) def. Joe Flanagan (SLU), 6-1, 6-2
- Yehia El Sallaly (SLU) def. Ali Shabib (CSU), 6-3, 4-6, 10-5
- Manuel Bellutti (CSU) def. Vuk Poledica (SLU), 6-3, 6-4
- Joe VanMeter (CSU) def. Luis Miguel Flores (SLU), 6-1, 6-2
- Nolan Marks (CSU) def. Paarth Dodhiawala (SLU), 6-1, 6-3