ARLINGTON, Texas – Matt Kuelker extended his singles win streak to nine straight Tuesday afternoon, but the Cleveland State men's tennis team fell to Texas-Arlington, 5-2. Tuesday's match against Texas-Arlington was the third and final contest in CSU's Texas roadswing.
Kuelker, who has now won nine straight matches and 12 of his last 14, battled for a 5-7, 7-5, 10-8 victory at No. 2 singles against Texas-Arlington. The senior leads the team with a 19-8 overall record this season and also has a team-best 12-2 record this spring.
Along with Kuelker, Manuel Bellutti also picked up a win Tuesday, earning a 0-6, 6-3, 6-1 victory at No. 4 singles. Bellutti now stands at 16-9 overall this season and 10-3 this spring – the second Viking to reach double-digit wins in the spring season. Bellutti has won seven of his last eight matches, including a 2-1 record over the Spring Break trip.
The Vikings will now have a week off from competition, returning to action against Wright State on Sunday, March 23. This will be CSU's second Horizon League matchup of the season, as the Vikings defeated Youngstown State earlier this season.
Texas-Arlington 5, Cleveland State 2
- Perez/Arbiza (UTA) def. Shabib/VanMeter (CSU), 8-4
- Pesicka/Erimicioiu (UTA) def. Kuelker/Marks (CSU), 8-6
- Robles/Armengol (UTA) def. Ford/van der Vloet (CSU), 8-5
- Marek Pesicka (UTA) def. Jorg van der Vloet (CSU), 6-0, 6-4
- Matt Kuelker (CSU) def. Carlos Arbiza (UTA), 5-7, 7-5, 10-8
- Daniel Armengol (UTA) def. Ali Shabib (CSU), 6-1, 6-3
- Manuel Bellutti (CSU) def. Sebastian Erimicioiu (UTA), 0-6, 6-3, 6-1
- Francesco Migliano (UTA) def. Nolan Marks (CSU), 7-5, 6-4
- Daniel Echeverry (UTA) def. Matt Ford (CSU), 6-3, 7-6 (3)