DETROIT, Mich. – The Cleveland State men's tennis team remained perfect in Horizon League play Saturday evening, defeating Detroit, 7-0. The Vikings are now 10-6 overall and 3-0 in league play.
"We came away with a powerful win today, we had a lot of energy throughout the match and we were able to pick up some solid doubles and singles wins," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We started with two doubles wins, and then kept the momentum going through singles play and came away with a solid Horizon League win."
The Vikings got out to an early 1-0 lead for the third time in league play, earning the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. Matt Kuelker and Nolan Marks improved to 7-4 on the season with an 8-1 win at the No. 2 spot, while Ali Shabib and Joe VanMeter picked up their seventh win at the top of the singles lineup this spring with an 8-2 victory.
Marks then quickly gave CSU a 2-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 6 singles, while Manuel Bellutti improved Cleveland State's advantage to 3-0 with a 6-0, 6-3 victory at the No. 5 position. VanMeter then clinched the match for the Vikings with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles – winning his ninth straight singles match.
Shabib was then able to keep the Vikings perfect on the match with a 6-3, 6-4 victory at No. 2 singles, while Kuelker picked up a 7-5, 6-1 win at the top of the lineup. Kuelker has now won 10 straight matches, and has a team-best 21-8 record on the season.
The final point of the day came from Jorg van der Vloet, who picked up a three-set victory in a 6-1, 4-6, 6-0 decision at No. 3 singles.
The Vikings will now take a break from Horizon League action, facing Butler (Friday, April 4) and Duquesne (Sunday, April 6) next weekend.
Cleveland State 7, Detroit 0
- Shabib/VanMeter (CSU) def. Orantes/Conley (UDM), 8-2
- Kuelker/Marks (CSU) def. Joshi/Kadyrov (UDM), 8-1
- Bellutti/van der Vloet (CSU) vs. Cawood/Koscielski (UDM), 5-4, unfinished
- Matt Kuelker (CSU) def. Bobby Cawood (UDM), 7-5, 6-1
- Ali Shabib (CSU) def. Jay Joshi (UDM), 6-3, 6-4
- Jorg van der Vloet (CSU) def. Patryk Koscielski (UDM), 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
- Joe VanMeter (CSU) def. Rafael Orantes (UDM), 6-3, 6-2
- Manuel Bellutti (CSU) def. Ismail Kadyrov (UDM), 6-2, 6-3
- Nolan Marks (CSU) def. Chance Conley (UDM), 6-0, 6-1