DEKALB, Ill. – The Cleveland State men's tennis team wrapped up its three-match weekend Sunday afternoon, falling at Northern Illinois, 5-2. The Vikings are now 5-3 on the season.
"We good off to a slow start in doubles today, and we didn't set the tone early on which was the difference in the match," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "I thought by the middle of the match we had picked up our intensity and were starting to make a comeback, but we were never able to swing the momentum to our side. Kevin had a good bounce-back win today in his singles match, while Joe finished off a solid weekend by winning all three of his singles matches. This was a good weekend for us, and I thought we moved the needle a little in the right direction, and we were just a couple points short of having a great weekend."
VanMeter posted a 7-6 (6), 2-6, 10-4 victory at No. 3 singles, while Goth earned a 6-2, 6-4 win at the No. 5 spot. VanMeter is now 6-2 this spring, while Goth stands at 4-3 during dual match play.
VanMeter is also now three wins shy of 70 career victories, ending the weekend with 67 career wins.
Next up for Cleveland State will be a pair of matches at Buffalo (Saturday, Feb. 20) and St. Bonaventure (Sunday, Feb. 21) as the Vikings will close out a seven-match roadswing next weekend.
Northern Illinois 5, Cleveland State 2
1. Manzanas/Russell (NIU) vs. VanMeter/Mick (CSU), 5-5, unf
2. Daun/Lundkvist (NIU) def. Slade/Goth (CSU), 6-4
3. Hamel/Hjertonsson (NIU) def. Radosevic/Buffington (CSU), 6-3
1. Carlos Manzanas (NIU) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-2, 7-5
2. Louis-Philippe Hamel (NIU) def. Colton Buffington (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Joe VanMeter (CSU) def. Georg Lundkvist (NIU), 7-6 (6), 2-6, 10-4
4. Tom Hjertonsson (NIU) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 7-6 (4), 6-3
5. Kevin Goth (CSU) def. Kevin Daun (NIU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Austin Russell (NIU) def. Andre Mick (CSU), 6-3, 6-3