BUFFALO, N.Y. – Kevin Goth and Benjamin Slade picked up singles wins Saturday afternoon, as the Cleveland State men's tennis team fell at Buffalo, 5-2. With the loss, the Vikings now stand at 5-4 this season.
"Going into the match I thought we could win by a score of 4-3 if we played well in all facets. In my mind, that included picking up the doubles point, which in the end proved to be costly for us," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "Doubles is going to be very important for us throughout the season, and I think we have some good doubles players on the team, we just need to continue working on it throughout the season and it will help us pick up some wins later on. Kevin and Benjamin were able to put some points on the board for us against a tough Buffalo team, and hopefully we will be able to rebound against St. Bonaventure tomorrow."
Goth picked up his singles win at the No. 4 spot, while Slade earned his victory at No. 5 singles. Goth posted a 6-2, 3-6, 10-4 victory for his eighth singles win of the season, while Slade posted a 6-2, 7-6 (3) win for his team-leading 11th of the year.
The Vikings will return to action tomorrow (Sunday, February 21), taking on St. Bonaventure at 10:00 a.m.
Buffalo 5, Cleveland State 2
1. Hromic/Alvarez (UB) def. VanMeter/Mick (CSU), 6-4
2. Mehta/Miller (UB) def. Goth/Slade (CSU), 7-6 (6)
3. Arevalillo/Nittolo (UB) def. Buffington/Radosevic (CSU), 7-6 (4)
1. Amar Hromic (UB) def. Colton Buffington (CSU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Pablo Alvarez (UB) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Sergio Arevalillo (UB) def. Joe VanMeter (CSU), 7-6, 6-3
4. Kevin Goth (CSU) def. Ethan Nittolo (UB), 6-2, 3-6, 10-4
5. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Tony Miller (UB), 6-2, 7-6 (3)
6. Akhil Mehta (UB) def. William Malm (CSU), 6-3, 6-2