ORLANDO, Fla. – Despite picking up the doubles point to start play, the Cleveland State men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 match at Central Florida Sunday afternoon. The loss drops Cleveland State to 9-7 overall this season.
"We played great doubles today - which was a total metamorphosis from yesterday's match. I was really pumped with how we played doubles and I thought all three teams played well for us," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "I thought the entire team had a great attitude and energy throughout the match today, and I'm happy with the steps forward that we are taking throughout this spring break trip. Hopefully we can continue moving in the right direction in our final match on Tuesday, and continue to prepare for the Horizon League slate that is ahead of us."
This marked the 10th time this season that Cleveland State picked up the doubles point, and the second time out of the last three matches for the Vikings. Against UCF, Cleveland State got wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles.
At the top of the doubles lineup, Colton Buffington and Kevin Goth earned a 6-3 victory playing at No. 1 doubles for the first time this season, while Mirko Radosevic and Benjamin Slade posted a 6-2 win at the No. 2 spot.
The Vikings will close out their annual Spring Break Trip on Tuesday (March 15), traveling to Florida Tech for a 1:00 p.m. contest.
UCF 6, Cleveland State 1
1. Buffington/Goth (CSU) def. Espindola/Barrus (UCF), 6-3
2. Radosevic/Slade (CSU) def. Fraia/Pate (UCF), 6-2
3. Acree/Thiessen (UCF) vs. VanMeter/Malm (CSU), 4-5, unf.
1. Inaki Espindola (UCF) def. Joe VanMeter (CSU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Chris Barrus (UCF) def. Colton Buffington (CSU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Mariano Porter (UCF) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 7-5, 6-2
4. Nico De Fraia (UCF) def. Kevin Goth (CSU), 7-6 (3), 6-0
5. Reece Acree (UCF) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Tyler Pate (UCF) def. Andre Mick (CSU), 7-5, 6-3