CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team dropped a tough battle against Youngstown State in Horizon League play Friday evening, falling to Penguins 4-3. The Vikings are now 11-9 overall this season and 1-2 in league action.
"Although we didn't get the win today, we definitely had our chances which is a bit frustrating, but I know it will only make us better moving forward to get this experience, and hopefully we can keep up our play in league matches over the next few weeks," head coach Brian Etkzin. "We had another good doubles showing, and we are continuing to win doubles points which feels good to have that momentum to start matches. Mirko got a great win and gave us another point early, and Colton was able to finish his match late in singles action. Hopefully we will be able to use the next week of practice to improve on a few things, and come out strong against next weekend when we continue league play."
The Vikings picked up their three points with a win at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, along with picking up the early doubles point.
For the fifth straight match, Cleveland State was able to pick up the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots, posting their 14th doubles point of the season. Colton Buffington and Kevin Goth teamed up for a 6-3 win at No. 2 doubles, while Benjamin Slade and Mirko Radosevic earned a 6-2 win at the No. 3 spot.
Radosevic and Buffington also picked up singles wins for the Vikings – Radosevic at No. 2 singles and Buffington at the No. 3 position. Radosevic earned a 6-2, 6-3 victory over his opponent, while Buffington notched a 2-6, 7-5, 6-1 win on his court. Both players improved to 2-1 against Horizon League opponents this season.
Cleveland State will continue Horizon League play next weekend, hosting Green Bay at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, April 17.
Youngstown State 4, Cleveland State 3
1. VanMeter/Mick (CSU) vs. Morth/Purser (YSU), 4-2, unf.
2. Buffington/Goth (CSU) def. Dahan/Mekawi (YSU), 6-3
3. Slade/Radosevic (CSU) def. Sherif/Reyes (YSU), 6-2
1. Hugo Morth (YSU) def. Joe VanMeter (CSU), 6-4, 7-6 (7)
2. Mirko Radosevic (CSU) def. Matthew Kritzinger (YSU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Colton Buffington (CSU) def. Luke Purser (YSU), 2-6, 7-5, 6-1
4. Yossi Dahan (YSU) def. Kevin Goth (CSU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Bassem El Mekawi (YSU) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Agustin Reyes (YSU) def. William Malm (CSU), 6-1, 7-5