CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team wrapped up its regular season Tuesday evening, picking up a 7-0 victory over Baldwin Wallace. The Vikings enter the Horizon League Tournament with a 13-11 overall record this season.
"This was a great tune-up for our league tournament this weekend, Baldwin Wallace is a good, solid team and they are having a great year and we wish them well the rest of the season," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "Now we can turn our focus to the most exciting part of our year – the league tournament – and we are definitely ready and excited for a rematch against Youngstown State."
The Vikings started the match by sweeping all three doubles matches, including the duo of William Malm and Benjamin Slade who posted a 6-1 win at No. 3 doubles in their first-ever doubles match together.
Cleveland State then swept all six singles matches, including a 6-1, 6-1 win a from Slade at No. 4 singles who recorded his team-best 21st singles win of the season.
The Vikings will now turn their attention to the upcoming Horizon League Tournament (Friday, April 29 – Sunday, May 1), as they will open play with a first round contest against Youngstown State on Friday.
Cleveland State 7, Baldwin Wallace 0
1. VanMeter/Mick (CSU) def. Harris/Ganim (BW), 6-4
2. Buffington/Goth (CSU) def. Patterson/Polifrone (BW), 6-3
3. Slade/Malm (CSU) def. Harris/Fredrick (BW), 6-1
1. Joe VanMeter (CSU) def. Peter Harris (BW), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
2. Mirko Radosevic (CSU) def. Doug Ganim (BW), 7-5, 6-4
3. Colton Buffington (CSU) def. Kyle Patterson (BW), 6-3, 6-2
4. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Dominic Polifrone (BW), 6-3, 6-3
5. Kevin Goth (CSU) def. Nathan Katz (BW), 6-1, 6-1
6. William Malm (CSU) def. Jake Liebler (BW), 6-2, 6-1