ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The Cleveland State men's tennis team's season came to an end Saturday afternoon, as the fifth-seeded Vikings fell to top-seeded Valparaiso, 4-0 in the Horizon League Tournament Semifinals. The Vikings finish the spring season with a 14-12 record.
Cleveland State got behind early after dropping the doubles point, and then the Vikings weren't able to get the momentum back on their side during singles play. After dropping first sets on all six singles courts, the Viking trio of Colton Buffington, Benjamin Slade and Kevin Goth all bounced back during the second frames, as this trio had tight battles at No. 3, No. 4, and No. 5 singles, respectively, before their matches were halted.
Valparaiso was able to pick up singles wins at the top of the lineup, No. 2 singles, and No. 6 singles for the 4-0 match victory.
Joe VanMeter finished his Cleveland State career ranked sixth on the CSU Singles Wins List with 73 wins – one of just seven players all-time to record 70 career singles wins.
No. 1 Valparaiso 4, No. 5 Cleveland State 0
1. Schorsch/Emhardt (VALPO) def. VanMeter/Mick (CSU), 6-3
2. Bacalla/Gardner (VALPO) vs. Buffington/Goth (CSU), 4-5, unf.
3. Kissell/Dunn (VALPO) def. Radosevic/Slade (CSU), 6-3
1. Jeffrey Schorsch (VALPO) def. Joe VanMeter (CSU), 6-0, 6-2
2. Chad Kissell (VALPO) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Dave Bacalla (VALPO) vs. Colton Buffington (CSU), 6-4, 4-4, unf.
4. Charlie Emhardt (VALPO) vs. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 6-4, 5-4, unf.
5. Garrett Gardner (VALPO) vs. Kevin Goth (CSU), 6-3, 4-5, unf.
6. Kyle Dunn (VALPO) def. Andre Mick (CSU), 6-2, 6-0