COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team came up just short against Xavier Thursday evening, falling to the Musketeers, 4-3 in a neutral site match.
"This was a good match – as we knew it would be – we just unfortunately came up a bit short in the end," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We knew that we were going to have to get some wins at the bottom of the lineup, which we were able to do, we just weren't able to find that fourth point on the courts. This team is knocking on the door, and we will keep knocking until we break through and get that tough win."
All three of Cleveland State's points came during singles action, with all three coming after the match had been decided.
Mirko Radosevic picked up Cleveland State's first win at No. 4 singles, earning a 3-6, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (10) victory. The win marked Radosevic's third straight victory, and his fifth win out of the last six matches.
Nico Mostardi picked up the next point for the Vikings, notching a 7-5, 7-6 (4) victory at the top of the lineup. Mostardi also picked up his third straight victory, and now has a team-best 14-10 singles record this season.
The final point came from Kevin Goth at No. 6 singles, as he picked up a 2-6, 6-3, 7-5 victory. Goth, who just recently moved back into the singles lineup, picked up his second straight win.
The Vikings will continue action at Western Michigan tomorrow (Friday, March 3), facing the Broncos at 3:00 p.m. Live Stats for the match are available on the men's tennis schedule page on CSUVikings.com.
Xavier 4, Cleveland State 3
1. Araujo/Bishop (XU) def. Buffington/Goth (CSU), 6-3
2. Graft/Dykema (XU) def. Mostardi/Mick (CSU), 6-4
3. Radosevic/Slade (CSU) vs. Smith/LaFavre (XU), 5-4, unf.
1. Nico Mostardi (CSU) def. Matt Bishop (XU), 7-5, 7-6 (4)
2. Jeremy Schneider (XU) def. Colton Buffington (CSU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Jack Dykema (XU) def. William Malm (CSU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Mirko Radosevic (CSU) def. Gabriel Araujo (XU), 3-6, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (10)
5. Nate Dell (XU) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 6-4, 7-5
6. Kevin Goth (CSU) def. Michael Lee (XU), 2-6, 6-3, 7-5