SAN ANTONIO, Texas – The Cleveland State men's tennis team opened its annual Spring Break Trip at UTSA Tuesday evening, falling to the Roadrunners, 6-1.
Although the Vikings dropped the doubles point, they still showed great effort at all three spots, including a 6-3 win from Colton Buffington and William Malm at No. 2 doubles. The No. 3 doubles team of Nico Mostardi and Benjamin Slade dropped a tightly contested 7-6 (3) match, while Mirko Radosevic and Andre Mick came up just shirt in a 7-5 decision at the top of the lineup.
Cleveland State's lone point came from Slade at No. 5 singles, as he picked up a 6-2, 7-6 (1) victory. The win improved Slade to 4-1 at the No. 5 spot this spring, while it also marked his second straight win and the third out of his last four matches.
The Vikings will close out their Spring Break trip on Thursday (March 16), traveling to nationally ranked Rice for a 6:00 p.m. EST contest. Fans will be able to follow the match live, with Live Stats and Live Video links available on the men's tennis schedule page at CSUVikings.com.
UTSA 6, Cleveland State 1
1. Brand/Cantanhede (UTSA) def. Radosevic/Mick (CSU), 7-5
2. Buffington/Malm (CSU) def. Breitbach/Rechow (UTSA), 6-3
3. Carrillo/Watanabe (UTSA) def. Mostardi/Slade (CSU), 7-6 (3)
1. Kai Breitbach (UTSA) def. Nico Mostardi (CSU), 6-4, 6-7 (3), 1-0 (3)
2. Juri Rechow (UTSA) def. Colton Buffington (CSU), 6-0, 6-4
3. Axel Cronje (UTSA) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
4. Takeru Watanabe (UTSA) def. William Malm (CSU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Christian Carrillo (UTSA), 6-2, 7-6 (1)
6. Igor Cantanhede (UTSA) def. Jack Santilli (CSU), 6-4, 6-4