HOUSTON, Texas – The Cleveland State men's tennis team wrapped up its annual Spring Break Trip Thursday evening, falling at No. 41 Rice, 7-0.
Although the Vikings dropped the opening doubles point, the No. 2 team of William Malm and Colton Buffington were leading their match 5-4 before it was suspended when Rice picked up the first point of the match.
Malm also had the best opening set during singles play for the Vikings, forcing his opponent at No. 5 singles to a tiebreaker before falling 7-6 (4) in his first frame. Nico Mostardi and Benjamin Slade also had tough first sets, with both dropping 6-4 frames at the No. 1 and No. 4 spots, respectively.
The Vikings will return to action with Horizon League play, hosting UIC (Saturday, March 25) and Valparaiso (Sunday, March 26) next weekend at the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion.
No. 41 Rice 7, Cleveland State 0
1. Warren/Janglin (RICE) def. Radosevic/Slade (CSU), 6-3
2. Hansen/Malik (RICE) vs. Malm/Buffington (CSU), 4-5, unf.
3. Bennett/Llamas (RICE) def. Mostardi/Mick (CSU), 6-2
1. Tommy Bennett (RICE) def. Nico Mostardi (CSU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Jake Hansen (RICE) def. Colton Buffington (CSU), 6-1, 6-1
3. David Warren (RICE) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Eric Rutledge (RICE) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 6-4, 6-0
5. Emanuel Llamas (RICE) def. William Malm (CSU), 7-6 (4), 6-2
6. Oscar Janglin (RICE) def. Andre Mick (CSU), 6-1, 6-2