CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team dropped its first Horizon League match of the season Sunday morning, as the Vikings dropped a 7-0 match to preseason favorite Valparaiso.
"We came across a very good team in Valpo today, and we have to give them a lot of credit for their effort on the court," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We had some chances that we left on the table, and we are going to keep working very hard to see if we can get a rematch against Valpo on the big stage in the Horizon League Tournament."
Cleveland State's best effort on the match came from Mirko Radosevic at No. 3 singles, as he pushed his match to a tiebreaker before falling 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (8).
The top doubles team of Radosevic and Benjamin Slade were also in a tough battle at No. 1 doubles, trailing 4-5 before their match was suspended.
The Vikings will hit the road for the first time in Horizon League play next weekend, traveling to Northern Kentucky (Saturday, April 1) and Wright State (Sunday, April 2).
Valparaiso 7, Cleveland State 0
1. Radosevic/Slade (CSU) vs. Schorsch/Bacalla (Valpo), 4-5, unf.
2. Emhardt/Kissell (Valpo) def. Buffington/Malm (CSU), 6-2
3. Dunn/Gardner (Valpo) def. Mostardi/Goth (CSU), 6-2
1. Jeffrey Schorsch (Valpo) def. Nico Mostardi (CSU), 6-0, 6-3
2. Chad Kissell (Valpo) def. Colton Buffington (CSU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Charlie Emhardt (Valpo) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (8)
4. Dave Bacalla (Valpo) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Kyle Dunn (Valpo) def. William Malm (CSU), 6-3, 3-0, ret.
6. Brandon Ancona (Valpo) def. Kevin Goth (CSU), 6-2, 6-3