CHICAGO, Ill. – The Cleveland State men's tennis team played its final non-league match of the regular season Saturday evening, dropping a 7-0 contest at DePaul.
Saturday's match marked the first meeting between the two teams over the last 15 seasons.
"We had some tremendous battles today, and some of the matches could have gone either way, and we didn't stop fighting or putting forth our best effort throughout the entire match," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We are excited to move on to Green Bay and lay it all on the line tomorrow in the regular season finale."
Despite the score, the Vikings had three singles matches go to third sets, including two of which that ended in tiebreakers.
At the top of the lineup, Nico Mostardi pushed his match to three sets before falling 4-6, 6-3, 6-1, while Benjamin Slade and Mirko Radosevic both had three-set matches at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, respectively.
Slade fell in a 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (1) decision, while Radosevic dropped a 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (5) match.
Cleveland State will return to Horizon League action tomorrow (Sunday, April 22), closing out the regular season with a 3:00 p.m. EST contest at Green Bay.
DePaul 7, Cleveland State 0
1. Galoustian/de Veer (DEP) def. Slade/Radosevic (CSU), 6-1
2. Corwin/Spanjaard (DEP) def. Buffington/Goth (CSU), 6-2
3. Tonejc/Casati (DEP) vs. Mostardi/Mick (CSU), 5-3, unf.
1. Nathan de Veer (DEP) def. Nico Mostardi (CSU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Tim Corwin (DEP) def. Colton Buffington (CSU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Alex Galoustian (DEP) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (1)
4. Christopher Casati (DEP) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (5)
5. Boris Spanjaard (DEP) def. Kevin Goth (CSU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Fran Tonejc (DEP) def. William Malm (CSU), 6-4, 6-4