ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The Cleveland State men's tennis team clinched its spot in the Horizon League Championship match Saturday afternoon, picking up a 4-1 victory in a semifinal contest against Detroit Mercy. The Vikings will be making their eighth appearance in the championship match under head coach Brian Etzkin and the first since the 2014 season.
For the second straight day, sixth-seeded Cleveland State picked up an upset victory, knocking off second-seeded Detroit Mercy in the semifinals.
For the first time over the last five matches the Vikings were able to pick up the opening point of the match, capturing wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. At the top of the lineup, Benjamin Slade and Mirko Radosevic cruised to a 6-1 victory, while Nico Mostardi and William Malm picked up a 6-4 win at the No. 3 spot.
With the 1-0 advantage at the start of singles play, the Vikings got out to a quick start at the bottom part of the lineup, picking up first set victories at No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles.
Cleveland State gained a 2-0 lead following a win from Malm at No. 5 singles then, as he posted a 6-1, 6-3 victory.
The Vikings were then able to extend their lead following a win at the No. 4 spot from Radosevic, as he earned a 6-2, 6-1 victory to give Cleveland State a 3-0 advantage.
Although the Titans were able to pick up a point at No. 3 singles, the Vikings responded with a clinching point at the No. 6 spot from Kevin Goth, as he battled for a 6-2, 6-4 victory.
Cleveland State will now take on top-seeded Valparaiso in the Horizon League Championship match tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. (Sunday, April 30).
No. 6 Cleveland State 4, No. 2 Detroit Mercy 1
1. Slade/Radosevic (CSU) def. Ponton/Vasheshnikov (DET), 6-1
2. Buffington/Goth (CSU) vs. Conley/Koscielski (DET), 5-4, unf.
3. Mostardi/Mick (CSU) def. Stelmaszak/Zychowicz (DET), 6-4
1. Nico Mostardi (CSU) vs. Artem Vasheshnikov (DET), 5-7, 2-3, unf.
2. Colton Buffington (CSU) vs. Patryk Koscielski (DET), 2-6, 6-3, 0-5, unf.
3. Nathan Ponton (DET) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Mirko Radosevic (CSU) def. Kacper Stelmaszak (DET), 6-2, 6-1
5. William Malm (CSU) def. Adam Zychowicz (DET), 6-1, 6-3
6. Kevin Goth (CSU) def. Chance Conley (DET), 6-2, 6-4