CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team picked up its second straight win Saturday afternoon, posting a 6-1 victory over Binghamton to improve to 4-4 this season.
PDF BOX SCORE | Cleveland State 6, Binghamton 1
· With his win at No. 4 singles, Benjamin Slade now has 68 career wins, and is just two wins shy of becoming the eighth Viking all-time with 70 career victories.
· After picking up a win at No. 2 singles, Matthew Terry has 42 career wins and is just eight wins shy of becoming the 15th Viking all-time to reach the 50-win milestone.
· Luke Phillips improved to a team-best 5-1 in singles play this spring after picking up his fifth straight victory Saturday.
· This marked the first match of the spring season in the MMTP, as the Vikings now own an 18-7 record when playing in the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion.
For the second straight match the Vikings were able to get out to the early 1-0 start, picking up the doubles point after sweeping all three doubles matches. Benjamin Slade and Nico Mostardi picked up a 6-1 win at No. 1 doubles, while Luke Phillips and William Malm and Matthew Terry and Raul Teichmann posted matching 6-4 victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, respectively.
Cleveland State's clinching point came from Clark Bilinovich, as he earned a 6-2, 6-2 victory at the No. 6 spot. This marked Bilinovich's second clinching point of the season.
Although Binghamton was able to get on the board with a win at the top of the lineup, the Vikings claimed the final two singles points, as Benjamin Slade earned a win at No. 4 singles and Luke Phillips posted a win at the No. 3 spot.
· Cleveland State will host a pair of matches tomorrow (Sunday, February 17), facing St. Bonaventure at 1:30 and Oberlin at 7:30 p.m.
Doubles (1, 2, 3)
1.Mostardi/Slade (CSU) def. Nath/Lourenco (BING), 6-1
2.Phillips/Malm (CSU) def. Cestarollo/Pena (BING), 6-4
3.Terry/Teichmann (CSU) def. Friedman/Bouchet (BING), 6-4
Singles (5, 2, 6, 1, 4, 3)
1. Ludovico Cestarollo (BING) def. Nico Mostardi (CSU), 6-2, 1-6, 1-0(7)
2. Matthew Terry (CSU) def. Kushaan Nath (BING), 6-1, 6-2
3. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Dylan Friedman (BING), 6-4, 7-6(7)
4. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Tiago Lourenco (BING), 6-3, 7-6(3)
5. Raul Teichmann (CSU) def. Valentin Bouchet (BING), 6-2, 6-1
6. Clark Bilinovich (CSU) def. Inigo Saez (BING), 6-2, 6-2