CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State men's tennis team split its matches on Sunday at the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion, dropping a tight 4-3 battle against Xavier, and picking up a 7-0 sweep over Wooster. The Vikings now stand at 9-6 overall this season.
· Nico Mostardi picked up a pair of wins at No. 1 singles against Xavier and Wooster, moving into ninth place on the CSU Singles Wins List with 63 career victories.
· After a 2-0 day at No. 5 singles, Clark Bilinovich picked up his 20th singles win of the year, and improved to a team-best 11-3 this spring. Bilinovich has now won nine straight singles matches.
· Raul Teichmann picked up a pair of singles wins at the No. 4 spot on Sunday, improving to 19-11 on the year.
· Benjamin Slade split his matches at No. 3 singles on Sunday, with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Wooster giving him 72 singles wins for his career, moving him into sole possession of seventh place on the CSU Singles Wins List.
· William Malm moved into the singles lineup for the Vikings on Sunday, splitting his matches at No. 6 singles – with his win coming in a 6-3, 6-1 decision over Wooster.
· Sunday's 7-0 victory over Wooster marked the third sweep for the Vikings this season.
From The Sidelines
On the Xavier match…
"This was a good battle by both teams today, credit goes to Xavier for playing some of the big points well and battling back even after we were able to put them in a 3-1 hole after the first few singles matches. We are going to use this to motivate ourselves and get back to work, and most importantly remember that we have come a long way already this season, and we just need to keep working hard so that we can peak at the right time when it comes to league play later this spring."
On the Wooster match…
"This was another solid performance from the entire team, and they really re-focused after this morning's match to bounce back and get back in the win column. Clark continues to roll in singles play, as he picked up a nice win against Wooster for his 20th win of the season. Nico was able to take care of business at the top of the singles lineup for us, as he capped off a solid weekend of singles play. Now we will get ready for our Spring Break trip and see what we can do playing outside for the first time this season."
· The Vikings will begin a four-match roadswing next week, opening up their annual Spring Break Trip with a 2:00 p.m. match at Mercer on Sunday, March 10.
The Results: Xavier
Doubles (2, 1, 3)
1. Mostardi/Slade (CSU) def. Winters/Dykema (XU), 6-3
2. Graft/LaFavre (XU) def. Phillips/Malm (CSU), 6-1
3. Vrba/Lee (XU) def. Teichmann/Bilinovich (CSU), 6-4
Singles (4, 1, 5, 6, 3, 2)
1. Nico Mostardi (CSU) def. Brett Winters (XU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Jack Dykema (XU) def. Luke Phillips (CSU), 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. Matthew Graft (XU) def. Benjamin Slade (CSU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Raul Teichmann (CSU) def. Connor LaFavre (XU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Clark Bilinovich (CSU) def. Jan Vrba (XU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Michael Lee (XU) def. William Malm (CSU), 6-2, 7-5
The Results: Wooster
Doubles (1, 3, 2)
1. Mostardi/Slade (CSU) def. Amo/Devereux (WOO), 6-0
2. Malm/Phillips (CSU) def. DeWitt/Hanna (WOO), 6-2
3. Bilinovich/Teichmann (CSU) def. Minassie/Liberman (WOO), 6-1
Singles (1, 6, 5, 3, 2, 4)
1. Nico Mostardi (CSU) def. Austin Hanna (WOO), 6-0, 6-0
2. Luke Phillips (CSU) def. Joaquin Abos Amo (WOO), 6-3, 6-1
3. Benjamin Slade (CSU) def. Alon Liberman (WOO), 6-2, 6-1
4. Raul Teichmann (CSU) def. Nathan Devereux (WOO), 6-1, 7-6(4)
5. Clark Bilinovich (CSU) def. Jesse DeWitt (WOO), 6-0, 6-0
6. William Malm (CSU) def. Nebyou Minassie (WOO), 6-3, 6-1