Men's Tennis Falls At Penn State
Jan. 20, 2013
Contact: Renee Adam
"This was a tough match for us today, but I thought we played well in doubles and definitely made improvements from Friday's match," assistant coach Frank Polito said. "We still have some work to do in singles play, but I thought Niklas really played a great match today and competed very hard throughout the entire match. We have some positive things to take into practice next week now as we continue our dual match season."
Penn State was able to pull out a tough three-match sweep during doubles play, getting out to an early 1-0 lead. The Nittany Lions then clinched the win with victories at No. 1, No. 6 and No. 2 singles. Penn State closed out the match with three more singles victories - posting the 7-0 victory.
Niklas Jonsson was able to win his first set at No. 5 singles, 7-6 (3), but fell 6-3 in set two and 11-9 in the tie breaker. Jonsson also dropped a close 8-7 match at No. 1 doubles, teaming up with Ali Shabib, while Joe VanMeter and Jay Jones dropped their No. 3 doubles match by the same score.
The Vikings will continue the spring season next Thursday (Jan. 24), traveling to Ohio State for a 6:00 p.m. contest, before hosting Binghamton on Sunday, Jan. 27 at 11:00 a.m. in the first home dual match of the year.
1. Bader/Trkulja (PSU) def. Shabib/Jonsson (CSU), 8-7 (3)
2. Welnetz/Hanzlik (PSU) def. van der Vloet/Kuelker (CSU), 8-5
3. Chen/Young (PSU) def. VanMeter/Jones (CSU), 8-7 (2)
1. Welnetz (PSU) def. van der Vloet (CSU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Trkulja (PSU) def. Kuelker (CSU), 6-1, 6-4
3. Hanzlik (PSU) def. VanMeter (CSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Bader (PSU) def. Shabib (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Griffin (PSU) def. Jonsson (CSU), 6-7 (3), 6-3, 11-9
6. Young (PSU) def. Jones (CSU), 6-2, 6-2