Jan. 23, 2005
Fairfield, Ohio - Cleveland State got a strong showing from its doubles players and additional wins from the top two singles players but came up short on the scoring, falling to Xavier, 4-3, in on Sunday (Jan. 23) afternoon. Freshman Brad Groleski and senior Eric Winn picked up singles victories for the Vikings.
CSU jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the match after picking up the doubles point. The No. 2 tandem of Groleski and Dan Singer posted a strong 8-6 win, while Jay Tee and Brett Aronson added a 9-8 (7-5) victory at No. 3 to seal the point. Tee and Aronson fought off three match points after coming back from a 7-4 deficit.
After dropping three quick matches at singles to fall down 3-1, Groleski and Winn posted a pair of three-set victories to knot scoring at 3-3. The freshman No. 1 lost a 7-3 tie-breaker in the second set, but rallied back in the third to win 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3. Winn entered the third set tied at 1-1 and grinded out a 7-6 (7-3) third set victory.
"It felt good to know that I could still come back after falling in the second set like that," Groleski said. "I'm disappointed that we couldn't get the win as a team, but I'm happy with the way I performed."
Xavier No. 6 Adam Scaheffer secured the Musketeers win in the final match of the day, however, topping Jordan Reynolds 6-1, 6-2.
"It's disappointing," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We are competing, but this is a match that we should have won. We have to turn it up for next week."
The men's team will host St. Bonaventure with the women's team on Jan. 30 at River Oaks Racquet Club in Rocky River, Ohio beginning at 1:00 p.m.
1. Yeager/Simpson (XU) def. Winn/Haley (CSU), 8-2
2. Groleski/Singer (CSU) def. Randall/Trapp (XU), 8-6
3. Tee/Aronson (CSU) def. Miller/Shaeffer (XU), 9-8 (7-5)
1. Brad Groleski (CSU) def. JR Randall (XU), 6-4, 6-7 (3-6), 6-3
2. Eric Winn (CSU) def. Jeremy Miller (XU), 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (6-3)
3. Justin Yeager (XU) def. Paul Haley (CSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Rob Simpson (XU) def. Dan Singer (CSU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Brian Schubert (XU) def. Jay Tee (CSU), 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Adam Shaeffer (XU) def. Jordan Reynolds (CSU), 6-1, 6-2