Feb. 19, 2005
Toledo, Ohio - Cleveland State tennis dropped a pair of tough matches to Toledo on Saturday (Feb. 19) night, with the men's squad falling by a 5-2 count and the women's team coming up on the short end of a 6-1 match.
Despite the outcome, both teams performed well in the matches against the tough Rockets teams.
"We came in to these matches with the idea that we could come away with a couple of wins," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We knew that Toledo was a tough opponent, but we could have easily come out on top. We played much better this time around compared to last season."
Last year, the men's squad dropped a 6-1 decision to the Rockets, while the women's team fell by a 7-0 count.
Senior Eric Winn picked up a singles win for the men's team at No. 1, topping Josh Moran in three sets. Winn tallied his first win at the No. 1 position since registering a 6-0, 6-1 win against St. Francis at the start of the season.
"It feels good to come out in that position and perform well," Winn said. "Obviously, I wish the overall results would have been better, but it's nice to know that I can still compete at the top level."
Freshman Jenn Myers scored the only women's singles win at No. 3, tallying a 6-2, 6-2 win over Daniella Moran.
"I felt confident heading into the match that I could come out on top," Myers said. "I have to be able to keep that confidence going tomorrow for Michigan State, because they are a tough opponent."
The Viking women's team heads to East Lansing, Mich. tomorrow afternoon for a 3:00 p.m. showdown with Michigan State. The match was originally scheduled for 4:00 p.m. but was bumped up an hour to assist in the travel schedule.
1. Myriam Cueva (UT) def. Sarah Galon (CSU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Viviana Rivero (UT) def. Morgan Ungerott (CSU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Jenn Myers (CSU) def. Daniella Moran (UT), 6-2, 6-2
4. Sarah Horning (UT) def. Lindsay Sellers (CSU), 6-2, 7-6 (5)
5. Sarah VanderMolen (UT) def. Rebekah Bicksler (CSU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Sarah Thompson (UT) def. Marcella Capozziello (CSU), 7-5, 6-2
1. Galon/Ungerott (CSU) def. Horning/Cueva (UT), 8-4
2. Rivero/VanderMolen (UT) def. Myers/Vogelgesang (CSU), 8-3
3. Moran/Thompson (UT) def. Sellers/Capozziello (CSU), 8-4
Ex. Christine Vogelgesang (CSU) def. Claire Smalley (UT), 7-5
1. Eric Winn (CSU) def. Josh Moran (UT), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Chris Clark (UT) def. Jay Tee (CSU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Travis Curran (UT) def. Paul Haley (CSU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Cristobal Toral (UT) def. Dan Singer (CSU), 3-6, 7-6 (2), 7-5
5. Brian Rager (UT) def. Jordan Reynolds (CSU), 7-5, 6-4
6. Brett Aronson (CSU) def. Erik Petersson (UT), 6-1, 6-1
1. Rager/Moran (UT) def. Winn/Haley (CSU), 8-6
2. Tran/Clark (UT) def. Tee/Aronson (CSU), 9-8 (5)
3. Singer/Reynolds (CSU) def. Curran/Petersson (UT), 8-6