Vikings Drop 4-3 Contest At Illinois State
Feb. 25, 2012
Contact: Renee Adam
"We had a very strong doubles showing today and we were able to get the point after playing some great doubles," assistant coach Jay Tee said. "Nolan and Jorg also continued their winning ways for us, playing aggressive and focused tennis to get the wins at their respective singles spots. We also had some moments of strong tennis in the other singles matches, but we weren't able to come away with the wins."
For the fourth straight match the Vikings were able to pick up the doubles point, taking two of the three matches against the Redbirds. The duo of Nolan Marks and Ali Shabib picked up their team-leading fourth victory at No. 1 doubles with a 9-8 win, while Matt Kuelker and Jorg Van Der Vloet posted an 8-4 win at the No. 3 spot.
Illinois State was then able to capture the first three singles points at the No. 1, 2 and 6 positions, and claimed a 6-3, 6-1 victory at No. 3 singles for the clinching point.
Marks and van der Vloet each posted a victory in singles play against Illinois State, as they both extended their singles win streak to three-straight. van der Vloet came from behind to take a 5-7, 7-5, 6-4 victory at No. 4 singles, while Marks earned a 6-0, 4-6, 6-2 victory at the No. 5 spot.
"The team is looking forward to tomorrow's match at Northern Illinois and hopefully we are able to continue to improve in doubles and singles and get the win," Tee said.
The Vikings will finish out the weekend tomorrow (Sunday, Feb. 26), as they travel to Northern Illinois for a 2:00 p.m. EST contest.
Illinois State 4, Cleveland State 3
1. Marks/Shabib (CSU) def. Peter/Appanervand (ISU), 9-8
2. Pelaez/Ojanen (ISU) def. Goossens/Ford (CSU), 8-6
3. Kuelker/van der Vloet (CSU) def. Manner/Badenko (ISU), 8-4
1. Alexander Pelaez (ISU) def. Ali Shabib (CSU), 6-0, 6-2
2. Skip Span (ISU) def. Yannick Goossens (CSU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Tuomas Manner (ISU) def. Matt Kuelker (CSU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Jorg Van Der Vloet (CSU) def. Juuso Ojanen (ISU), 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
5. Nolan Marks (CSU) def. Muddappa Appanervand (ISU), 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
6. Willi Peter (ISU) def. Matt Ford (CSU), 6-2, 6-4