March 5, 2005
Rocky River, Ohio - The men's and women's tennis teams picked up a pair of home wins on Saturday (March 5), with both teams scoring 5-2 decisions over Chicago State at River Oaks Racquet Club. The men's team improves to 5-7 on the year, while the women's squad moves to 9-6.
The women's team registered the doubles point thanks to wins from the No. 1 and 2 teams. Sophomores Sarah Galon and Morgan Ungerott put away an 8-2 win at first doubles, while freshmen Jenn Myers and Christine Vogelgesang picked up an 8-3 decision at No. 2.
After Galon posted a strong 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 1 singles over Robbie Barnett, Ungerott battled for a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Roberta Sowell at No. 3 before Myers rallied back to seal the team win with a 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-3 decision over Edyta Urban at No. 2.
"I was able to keep my head in the game and kept my temper down," Galon said. "I felt confident in my skills today. I think Morgan [Ungerott] really got the team going, though. Her match got everyone fired up."
Vogelgesang returned to the singles lineup for the first time this spring and stepped up with a decisive 6-1, 6-1 victory over Anna Olin at No. 6.
The men's squad picked up a crucial 8-3 win from the No. 2 doubles team of Jay Tee and Brett Aronson that solidified the doubles point with a forfeit victory at No. 3. Senior Paul Haley got things rolling at No. 3 singles with a gutsy 6-4, 6-2 win over Abram Mamahit, while Dan Singer (6-3, 6-1) and Jordan Reynolds (6-4, 6-3) added wins at No. 4 and 5.
"This was a much needed win," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We have been struggling with consistency, but today we played well. The doubles point was huge for us, and Dan Singer had one of his best matches of the year.
"The way we performed in these last matches puts us in good shape heading into our spring trip."
The women's team heads to Youngstown State tomorrow (March 6) morning for a 9:00 a.m. match with the Penguins. Both teams then head to their spring trip in Orlando, Fla. beginning on March 13.
1. Sarah Galon (Cle.) def. Robbie Barnett (Chi.) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jenn Myers (Cle.) def. Edyta Urban (Chi.) 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-3
3. Morgan Ungerott (Cle.) def. Roberta Sowell (Chi.) 7-5, 6-4
4. Cristina Vlase (Chi.) def. Lindsay Sellers (Cle.) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
5. Colette Hurt (Chi.) def. Rebekah Bicksler (Cle.) 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
6. Christine Vogelgesang (Cle.) def. Anna Olin (Chi.) 6-1, 6-1
1. Galon/Ungerott (Cle.) def. Urban/Vlase (Chi.) 8-2
2. Myers/Vogelgesang (Cle.) def. Barnett/Sowell (Chi.) 8-3
3. Olin/Hurt (Chi.) def. Sellers/Capozziello (Cle.) 8-6
1. Prabowo Imanuel (Chi.) def. Eric Winn (Cle.) 7-5, 6-0
2. Prakoso Imanuel (Chi.) def. Jay Tee (Cle.) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. Paul Haley (Cle.) def. Abram Mamahit (Chi.) 6-4, 6-2
4. Dan Singer (Cle.) def. Brett Thompson (Chi.) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jordan Reynolds (Cle.) def. Dejan Avramovic (Chi.) 6-4, 6-3
6. Brett Aronson (Cle.) forfeit
1. Imanuel/Imanuel (Chi.) def. Winn/Haley (Cle.) 8-5
2. Tee/Aronson (Cle.) def. Mamahit/Thompson (Chi.) 8-3
3. Singer/Reynolds (Cle.) forfeit