Kuelker Wins In 6-1 Loss At Central Florida
March 10, 2013
Contact: Renee Adam
"We put up a good fight today, we just weren't able to win some of the close matches that we needed to in the end," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "Our doubles play definitely improved from yesterday, but we weren't able to close out the matches after being ahead at the midway point. During singles play Matt Kuelker had the best performance of the day - pulling out the victory - while Matt Ford and Ali Shabib also had good days despite the outcomes. Now we will try to get a win on Tuesday and go home on a positive note."
Matt Kuelker picked up Cleveland State's lone victory on the day, earning a 7-5, 3-6, 10-8 victory at No. 2 singles. Kuelker's victory was his team-leading 11th of the season and his third out of the last five matches.
All three doubles teams had close matches against UCF, with No. 1 and No. 2 doubles falling by scores of 8-5 and No. 3 doubles falling 8-6.
After clinching the doubles point, UCF was able to pick up straight set victories in three of the singles matches and tiebreak wins in the other two for the 6-1 victory.
The Vikings will close out their three-match roadswing on Tuesday (March 12), when they face Stetson at 2:30 p.m.
Central Florida 6, Cleveland State 1
1. HROMIC, Amar/BLASCO, Jorge (UCF) def. MARKS, Nolan/VANMETER, Joe (CSU) 8-5
2. SAMSON, Mario/AULINA, Francesc (UCF) def. VAN DER VLOET, Jorg/KUELKER, Matt (CSU) 8-5
3. BOLONA, Juan/SANGRONIZ, Jose (UCF) def. SHABIB, Ali/FORD, Matt (CSU) 8-6
1. BLASCO, Jorge (UCF) def. van der Vloet, Jorg (CSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Kuelker, Matt (CSU) def. SANGRONIZ, Jose (UCF) 7-5, 3-6, 10-8
3. HROMIC, Amar (UCF) def. Shabib, Ali (CSU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (6)
4. BOLONA, Juan (UCF) def. Marks, Nolan (CSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. AULINA, Francesc (UCF) def. Ford, Matt (CSU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-4
6. SAMSON, Mario (UCF) def. VanMeter, Joe (CSU) 6-3, 6-2