March 12, 2013
Contact: Renee Adam
"We had some tough competition during this trip and the goal was to prepare ourselves for the rest of the season, which I think we accomplished," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We had some very good battles today but came up short in the end. This team is continuing to fight and we are going to work hard in practice over the next week and get ready for the rest of our season, including the league portion."
The Hatters started the match by picking up the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, while Ali Shabib and Niklas Jonsson were holding their own at No. 1 doubles - with the score tied at 5-5 before the match was called.
Stetson then picked up a pair of straight set singles victories to extend their lead to 3-0, before Jorg van der Vloet was able to push his match to three sets before falling at No. 1 singles. Nolan Marks also forced a third set in his No. 5 singles match, winning the first set before falling in the next two. The Hatters were able to close out the match with another pair of straight set wins, for the 7-0 victory.
Cleveland State will now open the Horizon League portion of its schedule, hosting Detroit on Sunday, March 24.
Stetson 7, Cleveland State 0
1. Laurynas Antropikas/Hans Adrian Riseng (STET) vs. SHABIB, Ali/JONSSON, Niklas (CSU) 5-5, unfinished
2. Didrik Berg/Simon Julin (STET) def. MARKS, Nolan/VANMETER, Joe (CSU) 8-5
3. Chester Espie/Nathan Debut (STET) def. KUELKER, Matt/FORD, Matt (CSU) 8-1
1. Didrik Berg (STET) def. van der Vloet, Jorg (CSU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
2. Laurynas Antropikas (STET) def. Kuelker, Matt (CSU) 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
3. Simon Julin (STET) def. Shabib, Ali (CSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Cahit Kapukiran (STET) def. Jonsson, Niklas (CSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Chester Espie (STET) def. Marks, Nolan (CSU) 6-7 (1-8), 6-4, 6-1
6. Nathan Debut (STET) def. Ford, Matt (CSU) 6-4, 6-4