March 13, 2012
Contact: Renee Adam
"Today was a tough day for us, it was our first time playing outside and we just weren't ready to play the kind of tennis that we needed to," assistant coach Jay Tee said. "Stetson is a very tough team to play and in order to compete with them we had to play disciplined tennis which we just did not do. We know where we need to go from here and we will make adjustments and hope for better results tomorrow when we face Florida Atlantic."
Stetson was able to get on the board early, as the Hatters claimed all three doubles matches to earn the first point of the contest. Tuesday's match marked just the third time this season that the Vikings were not able to claim victory in a doubles match.
Matt Kuelker, who played at No. 2 singles for CSU, pushed his opponent to three sets after claiming a 7-5 win during the opening set. Stetson's Njal Stene was then able to claim a 6-1 victory in the second set and a 6-4 victory in the final set.
Cleveland State will continue action in Florida tomorrow (Wednesday, March 14) as they face Florida Atlantic at 2:00 p.m.
Stetson 7, CSU 0
1. Stene/Adrian Riseng (SU) def. Marks/Shabib (CSU), 8-6
2. Levanovich/Espie (SU) def. Goossens/Ford (CSU), 8-3
3. Berg/Debut (SU) def. Kuelker/van der Vloet (CSU), 8-6
1. LEVANOVICH, Maksim (SU) def. Goossens, Yannick (CSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. STENE, Njal (SU) def. Kuelker, Matt (CSU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
3. BERG, Didrik (SU) def. Shabib, Ali (CSU) 6-0, 6-3
4. ADRIAN RISENG, Hans (SU) def. Van Der Vloet, Jorg (CSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. DEBUT, Nathan (SU) def. Marks, Nolan (CSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. ESPIE, Chester (SU) def. Ford, Matt (CSU) 6-4, 6-0