March 26, 2005
Boardman, Ohio - Cleveland State got a strong performance from No. 6 singles player Mike Durr against Youngstown State on Saturday (March 26) night, but dropped a tough 5-2 match to the conference rival Penguins.
Durr swept past Zach Landgraf at No. 6 singles with a 6-0, 6-0 victory. He then teamed up with Dan Singer at No. 3 doubles for an 8-6 decision over Landgraf and Tom Barth.
Jay Tee added a two set win over Brian Meek at No. 2 singles, but the Vikings couldn't cash in on a pair of three-set matches that proved to be crucial.
"We didn't have any focus on the court tonight," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We couldn't close out the third sets when we needed to and that really cost us.
"It's good to see Mike Durr and Jay Tee play well. Mike has been huge for us in the past few matches, and Jay had probably his best showing with us tonight. But this was a match that we needed to come out strong for as a team and didn't get it done."
The Vikings head to Fort Wayne, Ind. on Friday (April 1) for a 1:00 p.m. contest with IPFW before battling UIC on Saturday (April 2) in Fort Wayne beginning at 1:00 p.m.
1. Tom Barth (YSU) def. Eric Winn (CSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jay Tee (CSU) def. Brian Meek (YSU) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
3. Scott Kathery (YSU) def. Paul Haley (CSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
4. Ryan Trapp (YSU) def. Dan Singer (CSU) 6-3, 5-7, 7-5
5. Jason Trapp (YSU) def. Brett Aronson (CSU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Mike Durr (CSU) def. Zach Landgraf (YSU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kathery/Meek (YSU) def. Winn/Haley (CSU) 8-3
2. R. Trapp/J. Trapp (YSU) def. Tee/Aronson (CSU) 8-4
3. Singer/Durr (CSU) def. Barth/Landgraf (YSU) 8-6