Vikings Pick Up 4-3 Victory At Duquesne
March 29, 2013
Contact: Renee Adam
"The doubles point was huge for us tonight, the No. 3 doubles team had one of the best matches of the year and the No. 1 doubles team came back with great focus to get us the doubles point tonight," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We then lost at 4, 5 & 6 singles to put ourselves in a big hole and we need to be better at the bottom of our lineup tomorrow. Ali had a clutch match to keep us in it and Jorg had another great match against a tough opponent. Matt Kuelker then beat his player for the third straight year to clinch the match for us. This was a great tune up for us heading into the Youngstown State match tomorrow, we need to carry over this momentum and come away with other victory."
The Vikings were able to get out to an early 1-0 lead following a strong doubles showing, with CSU picking up wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Ali Shabib and Niklas Jonsson improved their overall season record to 18-5 with a 9-8 (4) victory at the top spot, while Joe VanMeter and Jorg van der Vloet picked up an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles.
After Duquesne picked up victories at No. 4, 5, & 6 singles, Cleveland State was able to secure the match with three straight victories at the top three singles positions - led by Matt Kuelker who picked up his team-leading 13th victory of the season with a 7-5, 6-1 decision. Jorg van der Vloet and Ali Shabib each marked their 10th victories of the year - van der Vloet at No. 1 singles (7-5, 6-4) and Shabib at No. 3 singles (6-2, 7-6 (4)).
The Vikings will get back to league play tomorrow (Saturday, March 30), traveling to Youngstown State for a 5:00 p.m. contest.
Cleveland State 4, Duquesne 3
1. SHABIB, Ali/JONSSON, Niklas (CSU) def. CARPENTER, Pete/ALEMAN, Alex (DUQ) 9-8 (4)
2. RUBIN, Max/ROBINSON, Corey (DUQ) def. KUELKER, Matt/MARKS, Nolan (CSU) 8-5
3. VANMETER, Joe/VAN DER VLOET, Jorg (CSU) def. ROBBIE, Rich/KLAAS, Ben (DUQ) 8-2
1. van der Vloet, Jorg (CSU) def. ROBBIE, Rich (DUQ) 7-5, 6-4
2. Kuelker, Matt (CSU) def. CARPENTER, Pete (DUQ) 7-5, 6-1
3. Shabib, Ali (CSU) def. ROBINSON, Corey (DUQ) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
4. ALEMAN, Alex (DUQ) def. Jonsson, Niklas (CSU) 6-0, 6-2
5. RUBIN, Max (DUQ) def. Marks, Nolan (CSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. WALSHE, Harry (DUQ) def. VanMeter, Joe (CSU) 6-2, 6-2