April 1, 2005
Fort Wayne, Ind. - Cleveland State received strong performances at singles from Eric Winn, Dan Singer and Brett Aronson that proved to be the difference in a 4-3 victory over IPFW on Friday (April 1) afternoon.
With the win, the Vikings improve to 9-9 on the season.
After sweeping the doubles point for an early 1-0 advantage, Winn scored a quick win at No. 1 singles with a 6-3, 6-4 defeat of Landry Nzudie.
The Mastodons would not go quietly, however, taking wins in three of the singles matches to bring the scoring to 3-2. A win at No. 4 by Singer set up the deciding match at No. 6 by Aronson, who responded with a come-from-behind 6-3, 7-5 win over Daniel Jackson.
"I had a lot of confidence playing that match," Aronson said. "Everyone of the team was cheering for me and coach Etzkin was there urging me on."
"We started out strong with the doubles point and went a little flat once singles started," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We rose to the occasion when we needed to, and that proved to be the difference in the match."
The Vikings will remain in Fort Wayne on Saturday (April 2) for a Horizon League contest with UIC beginning at 1:00 p.m.
1. Eric Winn (CSU) def. Landry Nzudie (IPFW) 6-3, 6-4
2. Nabil Mourad Filho (IPFW) def. Jay Tee (CSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Carlos Gonzalez (IPFW) def. Paul Haley (CSU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Dan Singer (CSU) def. Ian Leonhardt (IPFW) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
5. Sam Rocke (IPFW) def. Jordan Reynolds (CSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Brett Aronson (CSU) def. Daniel Jackson (IPFW) 6-3, 7-5
1. Winn/Tee (CSU) def. Nzudie/Mourad Filho (IPFW) 8-2
2. Singer/Reynolds (CSU) def. Leonhardt/Gonzalez (IPFW) 8-6
3. Haley/Aronson (CSU) def. Rocke/Jackson (IPFW) 8-6
Ex. Muns/Beasley (IPFW) def. Durr/Livingstone (CSU) 8-5