April 2, 2005
Fort Wayne, Ind. - The Cleveland State men's tennis team couldn't get anything going against a tough UIC team Saturday (April 2) afternoon, as the Flames sent CSU to a 7-0 defeat.
The loss drops the Vikings to 9-10 on the season and 0-3 in the Horizon League.
The No. 1 doubles team of Eric Winn and Jay Tee battled Ivan Kovalev and Andy Lockhart to an 8-8 tie before dropping in the tiebreaker. UIC claimed the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 by 8-6 scores.
The Flames then swept the singles matches despite strong efforts by Tee at No. 2 and Jordan Reynolds at No. 5.
"We played real strong doubles, but couldn't come away with a win," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "After that, we just weren't able play up to the level we needed at singles. I think that we were capable of beating them, but it just did not happen today."
The Vikings return home to Malaga Tennis Center on April 10 when they battle Wright State beginning at 10:00 a.m.
1. Ivan Kovalev (UIC) def. Eric Winn (CSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Karol Zarucki (UIC) def. Jay Tee (CSU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Paul Glendenning (UIC) def. Paul Haley (CSU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Andy Lockhart (UIC) def. Dan Singer (CSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Eric Fey (UIC) def. Jordan Reynolds (CSU) 7-6 (3), 6-4
6. Sean Kreymborg (UIC) def. Brett Aronson (CSU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Kovalev/Lockhart (UIC) def. Winn/Tee (CSU) 9-8 (4)
2. Zarucki/Kreymborg (UIC) def. Singer/Reynolds (CSU) 8-6
3. Glendenning/Fey (UIC) def. Haley/Aronson (CSU) 8-6
Ex. Wonneberg/Kasjan (UIC) def. Livingstone/Durr (CSU) 8-0