April 6, 2013
Contact: Renee Adam
"Today was a tough match for us, we played some good tennis and were very competitive, but Marquette was just too much for us to handle in the end," assistant coach Frank Polito said. "If we play with the same intensity and the same mindset tomorrow at Green Bay we should be able to get the outcome that we want. We need to continue to stay focused and play our style of tennis from beginning to end in order to get the victory."
After dropping the doubles point, the Vikings were able to tie the contest after the first singles match of the day, as Joe VanMeter picked up a 6-3, 7-5 victory at the No. 6 spot. Marquette then rattled off three straight-set victories at No. 1, 2 & 3 singles to clinch the match - before CSU was able to pick up two additional singles wins.
Nolan Marks posted his third singles win out of his last four matches at the No. 4 spot Saturday, earning a 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 come-from-behind victory. Matt Ford was the final Viking on the courts against Marquette, pulling out a 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (8) win at the No. 5 singles spot.
The Vikings will get back to league play tomorrow (Sunday, April 7), facing Green Bay at 11:00 a.m.EST.
Marquette 4, Cleveland State 3
1. MARKS, Nolan/KUELKER, Matt (CSU) def. Dan Mamalat/Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) 8-6
2. Cameron Tehrani/Logon Collins (MU) def. VAN DER VLOET, Jorg/VANMETER, Joe (CSU) 8-6
3. David Packowitz/James Stark (MU) def. FORD, Matt/SHABIB, Ali (CSU) 8-5
1. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. van der Vloet, Jorg (CSU) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
2. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Kuelker, Matt (CSU) 7-6 (2), 6-4
3. Logon Collins (MU) def. Shabib, Ali (CSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Marks, Nolan (CSU) def. Cameron Tehrani (MU) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Ford, Matt (CSU) def. David Packowitz (MU) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (8)
6. VanMeter, Joe (CSU) def. James Stark (MU) 6-3, 7-5