April 10, 2005
CLEVELAND - Despite playing without a pair of regulars in the lineup against Wright State on Sunday (April 10), the Viking men's tennis team gutted out a 4-3 win over the Raiders at Malaga Tennis Center for their first win in Horizon League play.
CSU improves to 10-10 overall and 1-3 in league play.
The Vikings staked themselves to an early 1-0 advantage by claiming wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles for the doubles point.
Junior Jay Tee scored a quick 6-4, 7-5 win at No. 2 singles over Lance Koetter to put CSU ahead 2-0, but Wright State would stay in the match with wins at No. 4 and No. 6. Senior Eric Winn dropped a hard-fought battle at No. 1, falling in three sets to Quincy Jones.
Senior Paul Haley gave the Vikings the victory it needed at No. 3 for the clinching point, battling back from 1-5 in the third set to claim a 6-4, 2-6, 7-5 win.
"This is the biggest win for this team so far this year," head coach Brian Etzkin said. "We were definitely underdogs coming into this match with a couple of our regulars out, but came out aggressive in doubles and took care of business."
The Vikings return to action next weekend when they host Butler at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday (April 16) before taking on Robert Morris in the final regular season match on Sunday (April 17) starting at 1:00 p.m.
1. Quincy Jones (WSU) def. Eric Winn (CSU) 6-7 (4), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
2. Jay Tee (CSU) def. Lance Koetter (WSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Paul Haley (CSU) def. Kevin Teufel (WSU) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
4. Craig Smith (WSU) def. Jordan Reynolds (CSU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Mike Durr (CSU) def. Dan Sundersingh (WSU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Scott Hayden (WSU) def. Alex Livingstone (CSU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Winn/Tee (CSU) def. Jones/Koetter (WSU) 8-3
2. Haley/Reynolds (CSU) def. Smith/Sundersingh (WSU) 8-3
3. Teufel/Hayden (WSU) def. Durr/Reynolds (CSU) 8-2