CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's basketball team hosted their fifth annual Kids Day Game Friday, picking up a 76-47 victory over Northern Kentucky in front of over 2,500 Cleveland area kids. With the win, the Vikings improved to 7-11 on the year, and 4-3 in Horizon league play.
· Crockett, Slaney, Braxton, White, Miller
· Friday marked the fifth annual Kids Day Game for the Vikings, with Cleveland State now owning a 3-2 record during Kids Day Games in the Wolstein Center.
· The victory over NKU marked the fifth straight against the Norse, while it snapped a two-game losing skid for the Vikings.
·Mariah Miller led the Vikings with 21 points, marking her third 20-point game of the season.
·Savanna Crockett recorded a season-high four blocked shots against the Norse, and now has a team-high 26 blocks on the year.
· Cleveland State finished with 15 assists on 29 made field goals, including five from Mariah White.
· The Vikings shot 50-percent from the floor on the game (29-for-58), marking the third time this season that they have had a .500 clip or better.
Cleveland State got out to a quick 9-3 lead to begin the contest in an energetic Wolstein Center, and then went on to hold the advantage for over 38 minutes throughout the game.
After gaining the early lead, the Vikings continued their momentum with an 8-2 run over a span of 4:03 in the first period, gaining a 17-6 lead, their first double-digit lead of the game. Cleveland State went on to close out the first quarter holding a 13-point lead at 22-9.
The Vikings continued to control play throughout the second quarter then, as they went into the halftime break with a 37-22 advantage.
Out of the halftime break, the Vikings outscored NKU 25-15 during the third quarter, taking a 62-37 lead into the final 10 minutes of action.
Throughout the fourth quarter the Vikings were able to extend their lead to 30+ points, including their largest lead at the 72-39 mark following a Mariah Miller layup at the midway point. Cleveland State was then able to close out the game with the 76-47 victory, picking up its fourth win in #HLWBB action.
Cleveland State will close out the weekend against Wright State on Sunday, January 20, hosting the Raiders at 3:00 p.m.