CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland State women's basketball team returned to the court Friday evening, dropping a 78-60 contest against the Milwaukee Panthers. With the loss, the Vikings now stand at 10-15 overall this season and 7-7 in Horizon League play.
· Crockett, Slaney, Braxton, White, Miller
· Mariah Miller led the Vikings with 15 points on the night, also grabbing a team-high eight rebounds.
· JaMiya Braxton finished with 11 points, including a trio of three-pointers, recording three or more three-pointers for the seventh time this season.
· Mariah White returned to the lineup after missing the previous two games due to injury, finishing with 11 points, five rebounds, five assists and two steals.
· Savanna Crockett finished with two blocked shots on the game – and has 37 on the year - and is now just six blocks shy of tying the CSU freshman class record.
· During halftime the Vikings recognized a large group of alumnae that were in attendance, including Kailey Klein who will be inducted into the Cleveland State Athletics Hall of Fame tomorrow (February 16).
Following a slow first half that saw Cleveland State trailing 44-29 at the halftime break, the Vikings were able to work their way back into the contest throughout the third quarter, as they outscored Milwaukee 22-15. Midway through the period Cleveland State posted seven straight points, including a Mariah White three-pointer, that cut the Viking deficit to single-digits at 52-43.
The two teams then traded baskets throughout the rest of the frame, with Mariah Miller splitting a pair of free throws to close out the frame to bring the Vikings within eight at 59-51 heading into the final quarter.
Milwaukee was able to extend its lead back to double-digits over the opening minutes of the final quarter, but a JaMiya Braxton three-pointer at the 7:20 mark brought the Vikings back within nine at 63-54. The Panthers then outscored Cleveland State 15-6 over the final seven minutes, pulling away with the 78-60 victory.
The Vikings will close out the weekend on Sunday, February 17 hosting Green Bay at 1:00 p.m.