YORKTOWN, Ind. - Cleveland State set the single round scoring record and Sophie Kelner broke the school record for 36 hole score to help the Vikings to sixth place out of 19 teams after the first two rounds of the Cardinal Classic that opened on Monday at the par-72, 6,204 yard The Players Club.
The Vikings opened the tournament with a school record round of 292 and shot a 299 in the afternoon - the third lowest round in school history - for a 36 hole total of 591.
- Senior Sophie Kelner, an Indiana native, fired back-to-back rounds of even-par 72 and is tied for eighth place with a 144 total. Kelner broke Micaela Cronin's 36 hole record of 146 which was set at the Chicago State Invitational in 2013.
- Kelner had two birdies and two bogeys on each nine during the opening round, carding even-par 36 on each side. In the afternoon round, Kelner shot a one-over-par on the front nine and used a pair of birdies with a bogey for a one-under 35 on the back nine.
- Kelner played the par three's in four-under-par today, tops in the 100 player field.
- Sophomore Kaylee Neumeister and senior Emily Turski are tied for 23rd place with 36 hole totals of 148.
- Neumesiter carded a two-under-par 70 in the morning in a round that featured seven birdies. She shot 78 in the afternoon.
- Neumesiter and Kelner both made eight birdies today, tied for second most in the field.
- Turski opened the tournament with a 77 and fired a career-low one-under-par 71 in the afternoon. Turski made all pars on the front nine and used three birdies en route to a one-under-par 35 on the back nine.
- Freshman Madison Butler is tied for 38th place at 151 (73-78), while freshman Amanda Baker shot 81-78 (159) and is tied for 79th.
- The Vikings set a program record with a first round 292, breaking the old mark of 296 set at the 2014 YSU Invitational.
- CSU followed that with a 299 in the afternoon, setting the third lowest round in school history.
- CSU's 36 hole total of 591 is a school record.
- The Vikings had four rounds of par or better today and a fifth round of one-over-par.
- CSU was a tournament best two-under-par on the par three's today and played the par five's in five-under-par, second best in the field.
- The final round of the Cardinal Classic will be played on Tuesday with an 8:30 am shotgun start.
- CSU will tee off between the fourth and seventh holes and will be paired with Akron, Western Michigan and Northern Illinois.
|T8||Sophie Kelner (4)||72||72||144|
|T23||Kaylee Neumeister (2)||70||78||148|
|T23||Emily Turski (3)||77||71||148|
|T38||Madison Butler (1)||73||78||151|
|T79||Amanda Baker (5)||81||78||159|