CLEVELAND, Ohio - Elaina Walnoha and Kaila Sargema scored second half goals, but Kent State used three first half goals and held off Cleveland State, 4-2, in an exhibition match on Sunday afternoon at Krenzler Field.
NEED TO KNOW
• Score: Kent State 4, Cleveland State 2
• CSU Goal Scorers: Elaina Walnoha, Kaila Sargema
• CSU Assists: McKenna Vento, KK Smith
• Kent State Goal Scorers: Jenna Hellstrom (3), Donovan Capehart
• Records: Cleveland State (0-0, 0-0 HL); Kent State (0-0, 0-0 MAC)
• Location: Cleveland, Ohio (Krenzler Field)
• Kent State took a 3-0 lead at the half with goals in the 11th, 30th and 31st minutes.
• Walnoha got the Vikings on the board just seven minutes into the second half with her first goal of the preseason.
• McKenna Vento started the play with a ball over the top of the Kent State defense that Walnoha was able to control and beat the charging goalkeeper to the far post.
• Hellstrom extended the Kent State lead to 4-1 with her third goal of the game at the 55:24 mark.
• CSU sliced the lead to 4-2 when Kaila Sargema scored in the 69th minute when she finished a cross from KK Smith at the back post.
IN THE NET
• Jamie Daniels started in goal for the Vikings and played the first 72 minutes, making six saves.
• Jane Piontowski played the final 18 minutes and posted two saves.
• Kent State held a 22-10 advantage in shots, including 12-2 in the first half.
• CSU had four corner kicks to Kent State's two. All six corners were in the second half.
• Walnoha had three shots for the Vikings, while Sargema and Carly Cerny finished with two shots apiece.
• Toni Dickson and Katie Bainbridge played all 90 minutes for the Vikings.
• CSU opens the regular season on Friday (Aug. 19) with a 6:00 pm match at Howard.