WASHINGTON, D.C. - Kaila Sargema scored a second half goal, but it wasn't enough as the Cleveland State women's soccer team dropped a 2-1 contest at George Washington on Sunday afternoon.
NEED TO KNOW
• Score: George Washington 2, Cleveland State 1
• CSU Goal Scorer: Kaila Sargema
• CSU Assists: Aliani Lorenzo
• George Washington Goal Scorers: MacKenzie Cowley, Deena DeSilva
• Records: Cleveland State (0-2, 0-0 HL); George Washington (2-0, 0-0 A10)
• Location: Washington, D.C. (GW Soccer Field)
• MacKenzie Cowley got GWU on the scoreboard 24 minutes into the contest and Deena DeSilva extended the lead to 2-0 with a goal just four minutes before halftime.
• Sargema cut the CSU lead to 2-1 with her first goal of the season at the 57:15 mark.
• She took a pass from Aliani Lorenzo from 30 yards out, made a move in the box and netted a goal in the bottom left.
• It was Sargema's 13th career goal, moving her into a tie for third place on the all-time list at CSU with Sylvia Olsby (2007-10).
IN THE NET
• Jamie Daniels played all 90 minutes and made two saves for the Vikings.
• The Vikings concluded their opening weekend swing in Washington D.C. today after playing at Howard on Friday night. It was the first-ever match for CSU against both programs.
• Howard was an NCAA tournament participant last season.
• George Washington held a 15-7 advantage in shots today and took all six corner kicks in the match.
• Sargema had three of CSU's seven shots, while Ashley Thiss posted two shots.
• There were 10 fouls in today's game with CSU being whistled for eight.
• CSU continues its early season road swing with a 7:00 pm match at Canisius on Friday (Aug. 26).